Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm addicted

Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
MJDore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I'm addicted

I'm here to admit I have a problem. I'm only three batches into this hobby and I can't stop thinking about it. I'm pouring through books by Papazian and others, I have Beersmith on my work laptop, I threaten friends to keep empty beer bottles, I'm researching kegging, I've already started thinking about Christmas beers...I'm hooked.

What started as a Brewers' Best kit with an Ale Pail, a 5 gal SS pot, and an extract brew kit has now grown to an additional 5 gallon SS pot, a better bottle carboy, a glass carboy, partial mash brews, and various other trinkets...oh, and the request for a Frigidaire compact refrig for Father's Day.

Everything I read in those books and on this site is true. There is nothing like the taste of a homebrew. I'll readily admit that I've always been a light beer guy. I try to stay in shape but I also love the taste of beer and wine so I have no choice but to choose my beer styles wisely. Yuengling Light, Sam Light, or Bud Light (sue me) have always been my mainstays. Occassionally I would branch out for a Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Summer Lager, or an IPA. But I typically kept it light.

With that in mind, my first kit was an extract Cream Ale kit. The first time I tasted one after only 2 weeks of bottle conditioning I knew I would be hooked. When I started drinking them after 3 weeks and then 4 weeks I was in the bag. Now when at a restaurant or party without homebrew, it's all I can do to make myself drink BL. I don't even want it anymore. I'm ruined and I have you guys to thank/blame for it.

I bottled a partial mash IPA kit yesterday using revvy's wonderful tips on mounting the bottling wand right on the spicket of my bottling bucket. I have a partial mash version of Centennial Blonde in secondary right now, and I have the ingredients for Sterling Gold for my wife.

I'm addicted and there's no going back... Thanks guys/gals.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
hoppheadIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to the madness!!!!! We're all obsessed!!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
thedude00
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Trust me i feel the same way.. Once you brew it all over with. When i am in a middle of a brew i am already thinking of my next brew...

Old 05-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It can turn into quite a wonderful sickness. I started out with a simple brewing equipment package and an ingredients kit about 2 years ago, and bought my first 50lb sack of unmilled 2 row malt a couple of months ago.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the madness when I brew I have delusions of having a successful microbrew and people come from all over to worship and enjoy my brew.....Its an amazing dream!
KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
FatCatz
Recipes 

I also must admit to my (our) addiction. The hubby and I brewed our first ever extract batch, a Summit clone, on 4/29/10. We have since done a Honey Bee Ale, a Liberty Cream Ale, started some of EdWord's Apfelwine, and plan to brew Watknee's Cream Stout this weekend. We are so excited to taste all of our creations!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
beerloin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockdoc View Post
Congrats and welcome to the madness when I brew I have delusions of having a successful microbrew and people come from all over to worship and enjoy my brew.....Its an amazing dream!
Does anyone on this site NOT have this dream?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDore View Post
oh, and the request for a Frigidaire compact refrig for Father's Day.
If you're eyeing the same one i am at Lowes use this link and you get a coupon for 10% off. http://www.lowes.com/cd_Lowes+Moving+Center_509684072_

Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Bret86944
Recipes 

I drank my first homebrew about an hour before going out one night. Once we were out someone got a pitcher of Miller Light and it tasted like total dog piss.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
worth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm five months in and just finished building my mash tun to switch to ten gallon all grain batches. It is addictive.