Water Salts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Brew day is tomorrow and I have found myself without a gram scale. Does anyone know what a teaspoon of chalk(calcium carbonate) weighs? Also epson salt? I need 10grams of calcium carbonate and 3 grams of epsom salt for 10gallons of RO water. I have done a few net searches with no luck and searched the forums...Thanks

there are so many factors involved in that it is impossible to say. A teaspoon is not always a teaspoon, if you tap it suddenly the product in it will compact and you will have less than a teaspoon. So you can never be totally sure.

What is the purpose behind adding it? Grams are fairly small units of measurement. You want to be careful with those epsoms, cos they are a laxative if you use too much! Have you checked your water quality before? You probably dont need calcium carb...or are you trying to duplicate a particular water from another region?

I think you are probably going to have to (gulp) buy a scale. You can get one at walmart pretty cheap.

Back