An affordable option to building an all electric system? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > An affordable option to building an all electric system?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Care to rephrase?
Ok, your post sounded like a peanuts(charlie brown) adult talking, whah, whah,whah. Pwm, ssr, pid mean nothing to me. Jesus I put smilies there, have a sense of humor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
He is saying that he has zero knowledge of how to do electrical work, and wouldn't know where to start.

wildwest, I think the best option is to look around and figure out exactly what you want and then start asking here for help to plan it. There are some talented (and helpful) people with good electrical skills that could help you put together a control box that does what you want.
I know exactly what i want. A rims or herms, with full/ partial automation. Crap I hate being a n00b again at something.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
I believe there is someone out there making control just control boxes. I seem to remember seeing them somewhere. Though they were pricey. Like $500.
Here, http://www.brewmation.com/Elements.html

Crap I could buy the whole setup for what he wants for some of those.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
jkarp
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,112
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Ok, your post sounded like a peanuts(charlie brown) adult talking, whah, whah,whah. Pwm, ssr, pid mean nothing to me. Jesus I put smilies there, have a sense of humor.
Umm. OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If I could figure out how to replicate that control box I could do the rest my self.
I was simply trying to help. With over 4K posts and a membership here, surely you're aware of the little search button above, right? If PWM, SSR, and PID mean nothing to you yet you really want your question answered, why don't you just search? Might be easer than slamming someone's "reading comprehension".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
gunner65
 
gunner65's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Lexington, KY
Posts: 843
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts


I recommend research and learn. If you buy a pre-built system you wont be able to repair it if you have no knowledge of it. I mean seriously a control box for $500? I built mine for about $80. Have an electrician drop you a 40 amp gfi protected outlet the rest is really just plug and play.
__________________
Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Umm. OK.

I was simply trying to help. With over 4K posts and a membership here, surely you're aware of the little search button above, right? If PWM, SSR, and PID mean nothing to you yet you really want your question answered, why don't you just search? Might be easer than slamming someone's "reading comprehension".
Because I never asked what those things were. I simply asked if people with a working knowledge of electric brew rigs thought those were reasonably priced setups.

And I wasn't slamming you, did you not have your coffee yet?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
DKershner
 
DKershner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
I...If PWM, SSR, and PID mean nothing to you yet you really want your question answered, why don't you just search?...
I understand where wildwest is coming from. I have read extensively about how to create and control an electric system, but I completely lack the technical knowledge to know what each piece really does. I can figure out the end task that the combination of parts produces, but not why. Hell, wiring up my outlet box with simple 115V power was tough enough for me...and I sound farther along than he does.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
I understand where wildwest is coming from. I have read extensively about how to create and control an electric system, but I completely lack the technical knowledge to know what each piece really does. I can figure out the end task that the combination of parts produces, but not why. Hell, wiring up my outlet box with simple 115V power was tough enough for me...and I sound farther along than he does.
Thank you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #19
ralph
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Portland, OR
Posts: 3

The highgravitybrew controller uses a 3-prong dryer plug (hot, hot, ground) and provides a 110v pump outlet (hot, neutral, ground) -- are they conflating ground with neutral, and will that cause trouble for a gfci outlet? Or am I confused about something?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
... are they conflating ground with neutral, and will that cause trouble for a gfci outlet? Or am I confused about something?
No, you are not confused. You are spot on. That simple violation of wiring principles should raise a huge red flag for anyone considering that vendor.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building an electric brewery, need some HERMS advice vonnieda Brew Stands 11 05-15-2010 03:21 PM
Building a system and need equipment advice funkybuddha Equipment/Sanitation 4 10-24-2009 02:00 AM
Building my HERMS System cmallon Brew Stands 5 07-13-2009 05:32 PM
Help! Building my own Herms Brew system loophol All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 11-24-2008 02:43 AM
Building Keg System STAD Bottling/Kegging 6 10-03-2008 04:45 PM


Forum Jump