Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Texas Witbier

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
RebelBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Texas Witbier

Next on the list is a Belgian Wit for summer time. Instead of the standard sour Curacao orange peel, i want to do a texas style with grapefruit. For all you yankee folk, grapefruit is the state fruit of Texas.

Since nobody carries driet grapefruit peel, i will need to use the zest. How much for a 5 gallon batch? put it in the boil, primary or secondary? How about using the juice from the grapefruit?

this will be my second batch, my first isn't even out of primary yet, I am so hooked!! Any advice from people with experience using fresh ingredients would be great

Cheers

Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

You don't have a copy of Radical Brewing do you? I'm at work and don't have mine with me, but I'm pretty sure he mentions how many to use for a wit.

Anyone got theirs handy?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
rca
Recipes 

I've got Radical Brewing open and he doesn't give a specific recommendation for grapefruit that I can find other than to say it can be used.

He recommends the zest of one bitter orange per batch. If you have sweet oranges he recommends the zest of two of those with one part grapefruit zest. That combination should be similar to the bitter orange taste, which he prefers.

There might be a table somewhere, but I don't see it.

Ron