Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sour bitter taste in 2 wheat beers please help me with my fav beer style

Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sour bitter taste in 2 wheat beers please help me with my fav beer style

I brewed 2 different blue moon clones that were both about 40% wheat 50% 2 row and 10% oats. They both have some crushed corriander and some dried orange peel added about 5 min flameout. Hops where a basic bittering and very low bitterness. The first one used white labs amercian wheat yeast (low floccuating) brewed around 68-74. The second was US-05 (medium floccuating) brewed at about 66-72. Both where in the primary for 2 weeks and 2 weeks secondary. mash was at 152 for both

The off taste i got on both was kind of a bitter, dry and sour. It kind of taste like yeast bite but i dont know how i have that. I kegged both and let the first one (much more bitter) sit at 40 degrees for 2 week and it still is bitter the other transfered to keg and tastes bitter as well at 2 days cold condition. I only get this taste on the wheat beers. I have been told that wheat should be ready to drink by 3 weeks why is my older aged beers taste so nasty! Has anyone else got this or got a solution. I dont think i have contamination. Would adding some gelatin to the keg help if the taste is coming from low floccuating yeast? I will try and make the description better but i cant really think of exactly how it taste. The best i can do is when you drink some, you kinda get dry mouth and stick out your tounge.

If it helps i can choke down a glass and see if i get the screaming s**ts or get crazy gas

Old 05-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
ekjohns
Recipes 

If it helps I did a 1 liter starter for the first batch with the liquid yeast and just proofed the US-05 for about 2 hrs for the second

Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
brrman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What kind of water did you use? I have had a couple bitter batches when I used all tapwater from my house. We have really hard water. I have to change my water chemistry for all my lighter beers. Dark beers are fine.

Other than that I can't see anything obviously wrong - a possible infection I guess.
Tap 2:.
Primary:. Dark Alley Scottish Ale

Old 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
ekjohns
Recipes 

i used tap water here is my water profile
total alkalinity 44
noncarbonate hardness 75
total harness 120
Ca 38
Mg 6
Na 60
K 5
S04 128
Cl 46
F 1.01
N 2.6
PO4 0.52
pH 7.8
Chlorine-Free 1.5

Additions - 2 g non-iodized salt

Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
colincbn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have had this same problem. My water is very soft and filtered, and all other beers I have made have been fine, even the very light ones. But I have made two wheat beers that have this sourness to them. When I made my first wheat extract beers I didn't have this problem.

I am thinking wheat malt might be way easier to extract tannins from, or might be way more susceptible to infections.
I am going to make my next batch with wheat malt extract again but otherwise the same recipe and see if that helps.