Recipe formulation Pale ale - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe formulation Pale ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
xjncoguyx
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Philly
Posts: 326
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts



Working on a summertime pale ale recipe, hoping for a sweet/malty yet hoppy pale ale. How does this look to you guys.

5.5 gal

8#2-row
2#Crystal40L
1#cara-pils
1#Honey malt

1oz Chinook @60
.5oz Cascade @15
.5oz Cascade @5
.5oz Cascade @1

US-05


Im new to this recipe formulation thing, and this looks alright to me, but then again this is only my 2nd recipe.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
mithion
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 393
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I think you've got a bit too much dextrin malts. I'd reduce it to 1.5 lbs crystal 40 and 0.5lbs carapils. With 2 lbs of those malts, I think you'll get a sweetish beer like you want. I think 3 lbs would be cloying IMHO.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
xjncoguyx
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Philly
Posts: 326
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mithion View Post
I think you've got a bit too much dextrin malts. I'd reduce it to 1.5 lbs crystal 40 and 0.5lbs carapils. With 2 lbs of those malts, I think you'll get a sweetish beer like you want. I think 3 lbs would be cloying IMHO.
Yeah i was thinking about dropping them down a little, especially having them both, the only reason i had the cara in there was for head retention, but i think with the 40L i should be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts


That looks gawd-awful sweet. I know you want some sweetness, but that recipe would be cloyingly sweet as well as a bit too bitter.

How about something like:

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.50 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.75 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 31.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU

You could go up to a pound of crystal 40L if you really wanted, or add .25 pound of crystal 10L for sweetness.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
mithion
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 393
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


If you're adding carapils just for head retention, then you could drop it altogether and use 2lbs of crystal 40L. Crystal malts themselves are good for head retention. Also, hops contribute chemicals that do a lot for head retention. Using 2lbs of crystal malt will result in a slightly darker and more caramelly beer as oppose to using 1.5lbs of it along with 0.5 carapils. It depends on what you like. But in theory, the carapils is superfluous if your only adding it for head retention.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
xjncoguyx
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Philly
Posts: 326
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
That looks gawd-awful sweet. I know you want some sweetness, but that recipe would be cloyingly sweet as well as a bit too bitter.

How about something like:

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.50 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.75 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 31.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU

You could go up to a pound of crystal 40L if you really wanted, or add .25 pound of crystal 10L for sweetness.
Well i figured maybe with the added sweetness would balance out the hop bitterness. That recipe was more or less just a jumping off point. Im sure i'll be changing quite a bit before its actually brewed, i just wanted to see if im going in the right direction.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
xjncoguyx
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Philly
Posts: 326
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mithion View Post
If you're adding carapils just for head retention, then you could drop it altogether and use 2lbs of crystal 40L. Crystal malts themselves are good for head retention. Also, hops contribute chemicals that do a lot for head retention. Using 2lbs of crystal malt will result in a slightly darker and more caramelly beer as oppose to using 1.5lbs of it along with 0.5 carapils. It depends on what you like. But in theory, the carapils is superfluous if your only adding it for head retention.
Thats the other thing i was thinking, of just dropping it all together.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
mithion
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 393
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by xjncoguyx View Post
Well i figured maybe with the added sweetness would balance out the hop bitterness. That recipe was more or less just a jumping off point. Im sure i'll be changing quite a bit before its actually brewed, i just wanted to see if im going in the right direction.
I think I'll revise my original reply and second Yooper on this. Even 2 lbs would be a lot of crystal malt. I think a full pound of crystal 40L would be enough for what you're aiming for.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
xjncoguyx
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Philly
Posts: 326
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts


How about this revision.


8#2-row
1#crystal 20L
.5#Special B
.5#Honey Malt

.5 chinook @60
1oz. casade @15
1oz [email protected]
1oz [email protected]

???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Jebu1788
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Posts: 440
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


I made a pale ale once with Chinook and Amarillo, using 1.5lbs of crystal malts. It really heavily outweighed the hoppiness. While it wasn't bad, and head retention was great, I think 1.5lbs was too much for that brew, and it seems similar to what you have.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recipe formulation ScottM Cider Forum 0 05-04-2009 04:26 PM
First recipe formulation - IPA TheTower Recipes/Ingredients 7 03-06-2009 01:59 PM
help with first recipe formulation - RIS kcinpdx Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-19-2009 01:37 AM
Recipe Formulation Panagiotis Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-27-2008 06:34 PM
AG Recipe Formulation njnear76 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 12-05-2007 10:39 AM


Forum Jump