Batch sparge not working well - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge not working well
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #101
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Liked 577 Times on 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
Denny, your page suggests an infusion of water before first runoff to reach the desired half of the pre-boiled volume, making up for whats lost in the mash, so your sparge and mash are equal, or something like that... For your example recipe, why not just mash with a gallon more instead of infusing. Would the mash be too thin? Is there such a thing as a mash that's too thin.

The first part is specific to Denny's recipe, but anyone can have a go at both questions.
You're absolutely right. I used to be a lot more concerned about that than I am these days. My philosophy now is that as long as the mash ratio is under 2 qt./lb. and the runoffs are within a gal. or so of each other, it's close enough to not really matter.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #102
RichBenn
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Tahoe
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I've tried wet milling and for me it made no difference whatsoever. Needless to say, I mill dry these days.
I tried it too, but did find a difference -- my drill would overheat!

I'm back to dry, of course. Maybe it makes a difference for fly sparging, but it never did for me for batch (low sample size - twice).

Rich

Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #103
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1584 Times on 1021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I've tried wet milling and for me it made no difference whatsoever. Needless to say, I mill dry these days.
For my false bottom setup, it made a huge difference in how fast I can recirculate without significant compaction.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #104
diS
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Croatia
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

I"ve finished my 1st batch yesterday. Single step infusion with double sparge, and I got ~80% efficiency.
I am more than satisfied for 1st time.
Thanks to Denny, CidahMastah, Bobby_M (for his AG primer) and others for great tips on this thread!!

I"ll try to improve next time and maybe test another process (fly sparge, multi step, diff. gap on mill..) on some of next batches to find what suits best to me..

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #105
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Liked 577 Times on 419 Posts

Try doing a single batch sparge and see how much difference there is.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!