do I need a hop adjustment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretsforlife

Reaction score
Brewing Jamil's Cream Ale and it calls for 1 oz of Liberty @ 60 minutes, and .5 oz Liberty @ 1 minute. In Beertools Pro, the AA% for liberty is set at 4%, however the Liberty that I have is only 3% putting my IBU's at 9.5. do I need to up the hops in order to get the correct profile for this beer?

thanks,

I believe that you would have to compare the AA% of the hops on the original recipe to your hops AA% in order to find out if you need to make a adjustment. Either that or look at the IBU number on the original recipe and match your specific AA% hops to that IBU number using a brewing software.

Yes, adjust it to match the IBUs in the recipe (assuming you want to end up with the beer the recipe was designed for).

4% / 3% = ~ 1.33

1.33 x 0.5 oz = ~ 0.67 oz

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about adjusting any hops additions that are primarily flavor or aroma additions (i.e., around 20 minutes or less).

Oh, I didn't notice there were two additions -- I'm sure you figured it out: use 1.33 oz for the 1 oz addition, don't bother adjusting the 1 minute addition (although if you do, it won't hurt anything...you might get a bit more aroma).

Back