Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best price on a complete starter kit?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #21
pen25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

you can reuse twistys by using a bench caper

Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #22
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I got the deluxe kit from northern brewer... I was never a fan of using buckets, I started on better bottles (6gal + 5gal)

Old 05-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #23
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802VermontHomebrew View Post
yeah i'd like to see somebody cap a twist off
Done it. It sucks. I had SWMBO hold the bottle down on the counter, and I was very, very ginger with the two-handed capper so that I didn't break the neck. I've heard that bench cappers can do it without breaking the bottles, though.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #24
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJersey View Post
I ordered a delux kit from Midwest Supplies...came eith everything; primary bucket, glass carboy, botting bucket, autosiphon, wine thief, thermometer, carboy brush, bottle brush, floating thermometer, hydrometer, stainless steel brew kettle, stainless steel spoon, 6 feet of tubing, bottling wand, 2 cases (48) brand new bottles, and an extract kit of my choice. All that purchased and delivered for $209. Probably a little overboard, but I was looking at a "basic" kit that was around $89.00. With shipping, it was near $105, or so...but it lacked the brew kettle, the glass carboy, the autosiphon, the bottles, the extract kit and the hydrometer. For an extra $100, I thought it was worth getting the delux. The carboy, kettle and kit alone were probably worth $100.

Where do you live in VT? I lived 15 minutes from Killington for nearly 20 years.
That sounds about right.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #25
ForRealBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

On one hand you can get plenty of good advice from your LHBS, especially if you are a beginner.

On the other hand, you can get plenty of good advice here 24x7x365.

I would go with the Midwest or Williams Brewing kits and get everything you need from the go. If there's one REALLY frustrating thing when you are brewing it is needing something and you know that the LHBS is closed for the night. Those two kits have what you will need to make good beer from batch one, assuming you pay enough attention to the instructions and to sanitation practices.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #26
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Everyone else posted up some vendors/retailers for you to check so I am not going that way...I am pointing you at super cheap because I think every new brewer should spend the very least on starting equipment because I am 1000% sure you will get hooked and want to "upgrade" soon. If you can "wait it out and get things on sale" you will spend WAY less than if you jump in and need everything by day X.

Stainless steel stock pots on the dirt cheap:

http://www.harborfreight.com/stainle...set-94829.html

These were $24.99 last week........and the "big un" is 4 gallons.

Craigs list / ebay can be a great place to get a kit or supplies. Just remember that scratches in plastic anything is bad.

Need food grade plastic buckets? ask your grocery store's deli/bakery. They may only be 3-4 gallons but they are the exact same "food grade plastic" and are free or very near it. (If you slip them a "tip" they normally go out of the way to help you out....) vs. 40+ dollars for a 6.5 gallon "Ale pail"

Air locks and blow off tubes are cheap to buy/make. I suggest the blow off tube.

+1 on getting an auto siphon, wine thief, hydrometer, floating thermometer and bench capper. (the wing capper will work but can be a PITA.)

The last bit of advice is check this forums DIY section to save even more money.

Good luck.

PS. I am in NO way saying the other posters helping are wrong I am simply providing some "food for thought."

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #27
lmerg
Recipes 

Has anyone compiled a list of basic components with potential upgrades? That would be very useful for people (like myself) trying to decide between kits and la carte purchases.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #28
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmerg View Post
Has anyone compiled a list of basic components with potential upgrades? That would be very useful for people (like myself) trying to decide between kits and la carte purchases.
The issue here is there are tons of distributors of equipment, and just as many "work arounds" by the time the list was compiled it would probably be out of date or inaccurate.

As a rule of thumb generally everything is upgradeable. With the exceptions of auto siphon, wine thief, hydrometer, floating thermometer and bench capper and even those have potential upgrades... plastic to glass as an example.

My theory is if you buy nice: auto siphon, wine thief, hydrometer, floating thermometer and bench capper you should not need to replace them any time soon. You will never have enough carboys, bottles or kegs and just when you do you will want to make larger batches or make batches faster/more often which nearly always equates to new or more equipment. (bigger boil kettles, going all grain, kegging, ect.ect.)

Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
munche
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's hard to directly compare kits, because they all seem to come with different stuff. That said, once you add in all the same gear they're all pretty close to each other.

As a result, I got mine from MoreBeer.com because they were local and I didn't have to pay shipping. Although tax probably negated that savings, I still liked being able to get it right there and then.
On Draft: Empire Strikes Brau, Dead By Dawn, Fail Ale, Yellow Fever Blonde

Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #30
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

If you are looking for "the cheaper the better" that depends on what is included. A lower price means less or inferior equipment. If you find a equipment kit you like let me know and I will compare.

Forrest