Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Cooking with Apfelwein?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
jiggs_casey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I thought about using in a dish yesterday but couldn't get it to make sense... That being said, tonight I think I have one that would work!

I did a little trading last week and in the score, I wound up with three of the biggest heads of cabbage I have ever seen. So, I need to find a way to use it.

Here is what I'm thinking.

In a jumbo cooker, start about a pound of beef sausage cut into bite size pieces (I'm sure any sausage would work but, this is what I have on hand). Cook on medium-high heat until it starts to grease the bottom of the pan. Add a few cut up potatoes and cut the heat to low-medium. This will allow the potatos to suck the grease and cook without burning. As the potatoes near done (still rather firm), add a layer of chopped cabbage. These heads are big so, maybe 1/3 a head. Pour in about a pint of apfelwein and season with salt and pepper. I like black pepper so, I would probably go a little overboard. Cover and let simmer until the cabbage is tender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

It's great with porkchops. You can do a nice pork/cider and garlic pan sauce with it. There's surprisingly a lot of recipes that call for hard cider, it's fun to use your own hard cider.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Pork chops, potato , sauerkraut, apples and apfelwein. throw them all in a roasting pan and throw it in the oven