My wife and I recently relocated from DC to Florida. As soon as I realized that we were going to be living in a house with plenty of room I immediately began making plans for a keezer… That was about four months ago and I finally found time to get this beast started. On Thursday I picked up a used 8 cf deep freezer off Craigslist for $40. It’s about 8 years old and I’m praying that the beer Gods will keep this thing running for another 8 or more years. It will eventually be a 4 tap keezer once all is said and done. SWMBO left town after work yesterday to go see her mom for the weekend, so I figured yesterday and today would be an ideal time to get this going.
Here is a photo after I attached the collar. I’m cautiously optimistic that I might be able to squeeze 5 cornies onto the floor of this thing, but incase I can’t I wanted to have room on the hump to have a backup ready. I also plan on adding a 5th tap eventually, perhaps a stout faucet. As you can see I extended the base and collar an extra ~12 inches past the freezer, I did that so I could store the CO2 tank outside but still have it hidden.
Here is a photo of the paneling as it is being attached… This stuff ended up being more of a PITA than I was expecting it to be, but I guess the main reason it was a PITA is simply because I’d never worked with it and really didn’t know what I was doing with it, so I had to remove it and reinstall a couple times before I got it right.
Here is a photo of the main cabinet with all the paneling installed, as well as the base trim installed. The upper trim really wasn’t necessary because it’s going to be hidden as you’ll see in a few more photos, but it does make it look better when the lid is opened.
Here is the main cabinet essentially complete and ready for the lid
Here is the trim that I wrapped the bar with, it’s just a basic 1x4. The box is a box of books being used for weight while the liquid nails dried. I stained these pieces first just so I wouldn’t have to worry about getting stain on the bar top. Which by the way is really the only thing I’m disappointed in with this project… I wanted to use the Krylon ‘Make it Stone’ paint that Guntr used for his keezer build
but I couldn't find it locally at any of the Home Depots nearby. I ended up some textured spray paint that I thought was going to be closer to a black, but it was more of a silvirish gray, so I ended up painting over that with the Krylon 'Hammered' black paint... It's fine as it is, but I think the stone stuff that Guntr used looks great and I think it would have looked nice on mine as well.
And finally, here it is as it stands now... The coffin box isn't attached yet, I still have to add the corner trim and I'm also going to build a removable 'lid' that will allow me to access the beer line. I fully intended on building that today as well, however the only piece of lumber that I had left was 11" and I needed 11 1/4", ain't that a beyotch! I didn't feel like making another run to HD, so I just cleaned up everything and will tackle it again sometime soon!
I'll continue to add photos as I get closer to completion, but all-in-all I'm very pleased with the progress I made yesterday and today! This is my first attempt at something like this so overall I'm very pleased with the way it's turning out. I will say that it's a lot bigger than I was prepared for.... SWMBO hasn't seen it yet and I think she's going to soil her panties when she does lol, but oh well. You know what they say, 'tis easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission, however I did have permission, she just didn't realize what she was signing up for when she agreed to this!