Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thoughts/ideas on my American Barleywine (modifcation to Jamil's BCS version)

Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
I'll probably dry hop too with about 2 oz per 6 gallons (using some of the same of the 0 min addition hops (Chinook/Centennial/Amarillo). I'm surprised that Jamil's recipe doesn't have any dry hops. I figured that would almost be a requirement for an American Barleywine style no?
I know he doesn't dry-hop his english ipa, but he may not dryhop his american ipa as well (too tired to look it up). I guess if you're going to age it for years, there may not be a lot of benefit to dry-hopping.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
MDVDuber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Dry hopping a beer that in theory could still be consumed years after brewing is probably not going to be very effective.

My question for the OP is how are you getting a 92% mash efficiency? That's just crazy good!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDVDuber View Post
My question for the OP is how are you getting a 92% mash efficiency? That's just crazy good!
It was actually 86%. 92% was a guess for this very high gravity beer since normally I get around 95-96%. You can see my setup at www.TheElectricBrewery.com.

With really high gravity beers efficiency drops because you're using less sparge water than usual to rinse more grain than usual and end up leaving more sugars behind. This is true of any brewing setup. I've brewed 9% ABV IIPA's and still achieved close to my regular 95% efficency. With this Barleywine the effiency dropped to 86%. Still very high. The end result was a 12% ABV beer instead of the original target of 12.5%.

Kal