Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #281
two_hearted
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,279
Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv
I asked this in the yeast washing thread but will ask here too. My 1st AG and 1st no secondary brew was the same brew, a Stone ruination IPA Clone (so lots of trub). I ended up with over a gallon of trub, how much success do Primary only AG brewers have in harvesting/washing their yeast when there is so so so much extra ****e at the bottom of the fermenter upon tranferring to bottling bucket or keg...and in particular what steps do you take to do so?
I think maybe the problem lies somewhere in your process. Do you whirlpool or vorlauf? Is your racking cane going straight to the bottom of your kettle or hovering over the hop sludge/hot break material?

I haven't had any issues unless it's a hop bomb.


two_hearted is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #282
natewv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baltimore, md
Posts: 201
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
I think maybe the problem lies somewhere in your process. Do you whirlpool or vorlauf? Is your racking cane going straight to the bottom of your kettle or hovering over the hop sludge/hot break material?

I haven't had any issues unless it's a hop bomb.
I'm confused about what you are asking? I do BIAB for now, and admittedly did not strain the cooled wort prior to pitching, on this batch which I've done in recent batches.

With no secondary I simply have more trub.

I don't use a racking cane to go from kettle to primary, I 'vigorously pour it to aerate the sh*t out of it. I don't understand when my racking cane would be invlooved?


natewv is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #283
two_hearted
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,279
Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv

I'm confused about what you are asking? I do BIAB for now, and admittedly did not strain the cooled wort prior to pitching, on this batch which I've done in recent batches.

With no secondary I simply have more trub.

I don't use a racking cane to go from kettle to primary, I 'vigorously pour it to aerate the sh*t out of it. I don't understand when my racking cane would be invlooved?
When your boil is finished and after you cool to pitching temps you are left with all kinds of solids at the bottom of your kettle (hop sludge, hot break material, grain particles that didn't stay in you bag). Swirling the wort vigorously and letting it sit covered for about 20 min should make all of that stuff compact into a cone or mound in the middle of your kettle. If you rack it to your fermenter instead of dumping it all in you will have much less trub in your primary. You can aerate be sloshing it all around or whisking it. Better yet you can get an aeration system with oxygen or an aquarium pump. There are some great how to guides on here for that.
two_hearted is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #284
Josephbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Has anyone here has ferment a batch for 4 weeks or so and then re-use the same yeast for another batch. Re-use meaning as just pour the next brew on top of what is left in the carboy or should I wash the yeast instead?.
I want to do first a batch of kolsch then I want to use the same yeast for a batch of Amber Ale. Just wondering cause that will save me some time and money.
Josephbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #285
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,370
Liked 462 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephbrew View Post
Has anyone here has ferment a batch for 4 weeks or so and then re-use the same yeast for another batch. Re-use meaning as just pour the next brew on top of what is left in the carboy
Yep, frequently. Not a problem.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #286
Yankeehillbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Yankee Hill, CA
Posts: 1,542
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephbrew View Post
Has anyone here has ferment a batch for 4 weeks or so and then re-use the same yeast for another batch. Re-use meaning as just pour the next brew on top of what is left in the carboy or should I wash the yeast instead?.
I want to do first a batch of kolsch then I want to use the same yeast for a batch of Amber Ale. Just wondering cause that will save me some time and money.
Give this a read when you have some time...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why...t-cake-166221/

You'll get more opinions than you can stand, but it's worth reading to form your own opinion.
__________________
Kegged: NADA
Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter
Yankeehillbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #287
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,810
Liked 2855 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehillbrewer View Post
Give this a read when you have some time...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why...t-cake-166221/

You'll get more opinions than you can stand, but it's worth reading to form your own opinion.
I dunno though, if Denny says he pitches on to yeast cakes, I wouldn't necessarily discount it.




























Not many folks get a yeast named after them.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #288
Yankeehillbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Yankee Hill, CA
Posts: 1,542
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I dunno though, if Denny says he pitches on to yeast cakes, I wouldn't necessarily discount it.




























Not many folks get a yeast named after them.
just providing info.
__________________
Kegged: NADA
Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter
Yankeehillbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #289
rwberne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 40
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Ever since reading Revvy and crew's recommendations I have skipped the secondary, and all of my brews have been great - and clear. But now I am planning to try my first lager. All I read on lagers suggest that the long cold lagering is done in a secondary - but is that because they are from the "old school", or is it because a secondary IS in fact the best bet for lagering?
rwberne is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #290
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,810
Liked 2855 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwberne View Post
Ever since reading Revvy and crew's recommendations I have skipped the secondary, and all of my brews have been great - and clear. But now I am planning to try my first lager. All I read on lagers suggest that the long cold lagering is done in a secondary - but is that because they are from the "old school", or is it because a secondary IS in fact the best bet for lagering?
I kn ow a few folks have talked about lagering in primary...But on the rare lager I make I still go old school and use a carboy.


__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is it when I listen to Jamil and John, they seem to say... tamoore Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 34 04-02-2010 01:37 AM
For Sale - Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff & Palmer khiddy For Sale 4 06-04-2009 08:47 PM
Jamil/Palmer Brewing Classic Styles thdewitt General Techniques 8 02-04-2009 11:37 PM
New Book by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer Came In... RLinNH General Chit Chat 23 11-22-2007 11:15 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS