Hop tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberjoey80

Reaction score
I recently asked for some advice on here and a few have mentioned that I should make a hop tea and then add it to my wort. I am a little confused as to how I would do this. Does anyone know. Would'nt this drastically change the recipe because usually I steep grains then add my extract and bring to a boil then start the boil hops, followed by mid boil and finishing hops. One of the more knowledgable guys recommened adding the hops first then the extract..I think?:drunk:

A hop tea is useful for increasing bitterness after a batch has fermented. All you do is boil a high AA hop in some water for an hour & add it a little at a time until the brew is bitter enough.

If you are going for a high gravity, high IBU IPA adding some of the extract to the initial boil and saving the rest for a late addition will improve utilization.

Hello,
For my IPA I do a hop tea. Look at frugalhomebrewer.com He has a recipe on his web site (top left side of home page). I add it after I rack it to the secondary or if I don't have time then I'll do it any time after I rack.

Back