Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 8 gallon brew pot....

Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchunk View Post
You might want to look at your cooling methods if you get DMS issues. You want to cool it quickly.
DMS has nothing to do with cooling, and everything to do with boiling off the DMS precursors.

And no, I don't have DMS issues.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
You have 3 gallons of headspace in an 8 gallon pot while making 6.5 gallon batches? How exactly do you manage that?
Obviously you didn't read my post, and are looking to start stir the pot (pun intended).

I said I had a SEVEN gallon pot and would boil close to capacity. I was stating using his pot with my brewing method I employed he would have CLOSE to 3 gallons of head space. Where did you read that I brewed 6.5 gallons in an 8 gallon pot?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #23
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente

Recipes 

Quote:
DMS has nothing to do with cooling, and everything to do with boiling off the DMS precursors.
Oh my mistake. I'll throw out all the texts that say the contrary. To include the wiki on this site.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
Rushis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
You have 3 gallons of headspace in an 8 gallon pot while making 6.5 gallon batches? How exactly do you manage that?
Quote:
I brewed a 6.5 gallon batch in it - without boil-overs. You guys don't need nearly 3 gallons of headspace. 8 gallons will be fine for your 5-5.5 gallon batches.
He never said he had 3 gals of head space.

I am at 28 5.5-6.5 gal AG batches in my 8 gal Bayou Classic turkey fryer. A dose of fermcap and it's easy to maintain a rolling boil on 7.5 gals of wort. I would use your system first and see how you like it's performance. All that matters is your preference.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #25
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente

Recipes 

True Rushis. It worked for me, so I was relaying the experience that I and a number of brewers I've brewed with have used.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Oh my mistake. I'll throw out all the texts that say the contrary. To include the wiki on this site.

Thanks for the chuckle.
There has been a lot of discussion on this issue . No Chill kinda throws the cool quickly to avoid DMS out the window .

Old 05-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #27
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There has been a lot of discussion on this issue . No Chill kinda throws the cool quickly to avoid DMS out the window .
Which is my point. As does a slower rolling boil not hurt, or a shorter boil. Just because someone says something doesn't mean you will have the same results. I was refuting his point of the hard rolling boil being the only thing to rid a beer of unwanted DMS. But you solidified that point. I guess it can't be read in my replies since it seems I am only saying you need to cool as quickly as possible. Not so, I've also put wort outside overnight without any ill effects as well. I don't make a practice of it, as there are other factors beside DMS I am concerned about. Especially when I was in dusty West Texas.

But to say someone cannot use an 8 gallon pot to brew 5-5.5 gallons of beer is not true at best. Just because you don't do it, and think it can't be done, doesn't make it so. There is lots of stuff we take for granted nowadays that many had to do without back in the day. And to tell someone they can't do something only stifles the creativity we need.

Rereading my posts it seems that I came off as a little arrogant and rude, and I would like to apologize to Synovia. I didn't intend to act so rudely and seem as if I was singling you out. I could of definitely worded my responses a bit differently as to nurture a more constructive dialog. Again, Synovia, I apologize.

Now let's make some beer.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have an 8 gallon and it is fine. Just be vigilant for the first 15 minutes of the boil as boil-overs can happen. I do not use any boilover control. I boil 5.5 gallon batches as well. Use Beersmith to calculate your boil volumes.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #29
turboedbug
Recipes 

I'm definently gonna give it a go with my 8 gallon pot just to see where I stand, worst case is boil over and a new brew pot in the works

Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I been using an 8 gallon pot that came with my morebeer kit. It has been perfectly fine for me as well. I've had right around 7 gallons in it to start and yes you do need to pay attention to it but it's not bad. Is it the best no will it work yes. Now I'm almost done building my single tier with keggles so I will have nothing to worry about for my next brew.