What temp does beer freeze? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What temp does beer freeze?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo View Post
You might want to get your thermometer checked. For a freezing point of 28°F you would have needed an OG of -2.225°P and, well, that's just not possible.

Either that or your ABV% is considerably higher than you calculated.
I wasn't trying to get the temp down to the nearest decimal point, just stating that the freezing temp of beer is below the freezing point of water.

And for the record the % is correct and thats the temp suggested by Zymurgy where I got the recipe from.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
mightynintendo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Raleigh, NC
Liked 134 Times on 105 Posts

Funny that Zymurgy would suggest a temperature that will freeze the beer.
'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
UncleLankyFrank
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Tampalpha, Bliss
Liked 36 Times on 18 Posts

I have to keep track of several temps when i get a beer down this cold. I don't have an automated temp control system yet, so everything is done manually and tested on water-only batches before subjecting beer to these measures.

Winter in Minnesota is great for lagering, as long as you have a well insulated place to store your beer. Fortunately, our garage is very well insulated, and can maintain a temperature above freezing with just a little oil-filled electric heater I got for $4 at a yard sale.

• I keep the garage at about 40F / 5C
  • I keep the yeast fridge at 35F / 1.5C
  • I keep the lager fridge at about 30-31F / -1C

The problem with Fermometer brand thermometer strips is they only go down to 36F, so while your Pilsner may spend a couple days in the 60-70F range, most of its life is lived off the scale. So i trust my swanky 1970s analog readout, which is surprisingly quick adjusting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage.temp.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	106795   Click image for larger version

Name:	thing.one.003.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	106796   Click image for larger version

Name:	thing.one.004.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	106797  

Old 01-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
Brewmegoodbeer
Recipes 

May 2016
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Sounds like the general rule of thumb is don't go below 30 deg f. I have two jars of yeast slurry in the freezer of my fridge/freezer combo fermentation chamber. I also have a cup of water. The cup of water is frozen and the yeast slurries are still liquid. Im going to exchange that cup of water with some beer so I can get a good estimated temp of what my yeast slurries stay.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
NothingRhymesWithCurtiss
Recipes 

Jan 2015
Cedar, Michigan
Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmegoodbeer View Post
Sounds like the general rule of thumb is don't go below 30 deg f. I have two jars of yeast slurry in the freezer of my fridge/freezer combo fermentation chamber. I also have a cup of water. The cup of water is frozen and the yeast slurries are still liquid. Im going to exchange that cup of water with some beer so I can get a good estimated temp of what my yeast slurries stay.
I'm interested in hearing what you find.

I have frozen water bottles sitting in my garage fridge, but the jars of yeast slurry and bottles of beer are still liquid.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #16
Morrey
Recipes 

Jan 2016
Liked 251 Times on 217 Posts

I'm going to agree that 30F is the line of demarcation. I let my kegerator dip below 30F (28-29ish) inadvertently, and got icing in the lines between the ball locks and the taps.

Brewmegoodbeer Likes This 
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #17
DaWhip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2016
Austin, TX
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

The thing to watch out for if using a freezer is how/where you are measuring the temp. For lagering/cold crashing, have the probe measuring ambient air of the freezer, not the temp of the beer itself. If you go off of beer temp, the freezer will cool your ambient air to -20 before the beer starts to change temp which will lead to freezing after a few cycles. I've frozen 2 batches with the freezer set at 33*F and the probe in the fermenter.
"The luxuries are more difficult to obtain; the means to procure them are more intricate and less certain in their results; while things absolutely hurtful and poisonous, such as alcohol are often obtained only by torturing nature, and making use of a kind of infernal sorcery to procure the death-dealing abomination." - Charles Finney

Old 01-18-2017, 04:42 AM   #18
Brewmegoodbeer
Recipes 

May 2016
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhip View Post
The thing to watch out for if using a freezer is how/where you are measuring the temp. For lagering/cold crashing, have the probe measuring ambient air of the freezer, not the temp of the beer itself. If you go off of beer temp, the freezer will cool your ambient air to -20 before the beer starts to change temp which will lead tofreezing after a few cycles. I've frozen 2 batches g.with the freezer set at 33*F and the probe in the fermenter.
I have a fridge/freezer combo that I use for a fermentation chamber. I am measuring the air temp of the fridge. It is specific to every system, but I have found that if I keep my controller at 60-62, it keeps my freezer in the 30's, where I store yeast slurry. When cold crashing, I will just move my slurry from the freezer to the fridge where that will then be in the 30's. I just got this fridge, so still testing this method out.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #19
InTheBasement
Recipes 

Oct 2016
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Also keep in mind that pressure will cause the freezing point to decrease. Also the fact that there is CO2 gas dissolved in the beer will cause the freezing temperature to decrease.

Dee_Lynn Likes This 
Old 01-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #20
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
West Jordan, UT
Liked 227 Times on 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc68 View Post
At what temp does beer freeze? OK, I know it will depend on a few factors, but let's say a 5% ABV average beer.

I want to try bottling from my keg sometime down the road and was told to get it super cold, almost freezing.

Then I also want to force carb and bottle a sparkling wine, I assume I can go colder with the wine, which will be a benefit as my regulator only goes up to 30PSI and I understand sparkling wines need to be carbed at 40, so I assume if I can get it super cold at 30, when it warms up to serving temp, it should be carbed just about right.
Wait...you don't have to get it near freezing to bottle from the keg. I bottle from kegs for competitions, when I'm tired of a beer I have on tap, when it's a beer I know I'll want to be able to cellar, etc. My keezer is usually set to 44F and it works just fine. How are you planning on filling the bottles? For example, Blichmann Beer Gun, NB Last Straw, Morebeer Counter Pressure Filler?