IPA's... what's the draw? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > IPA's... what's the draw?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Chap

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Kailua, Hawaii
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I just don't get the love affair w/ IPA's or even Double IPA's. Maybe's it's my tastes buds but the bitter after taste and smell really turn me off. I have tried several different brands, most recently Ballast Point's Sculpin, and I just don't enjoy the flavor. Definitely not slamming anyone's choice of beer, just wondering what I am missing in this style of beer.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You are not alone. My buddy hates all hops and only brews certain styles, but that is what he likes. I personally am a HopHead. The more hop flavor the better IMO, but I do have a limit on bitterness. Some people look for the complexity of the hops used when added at the various times. Just something I have always liked. When I open those hop bags it is like heaven.
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
GregR

Recipes 

Aug 2008
San Diego, CA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap View Post
I just don't get the love affair w/ IPA's or even Double IPA's. Maybe's it's my tastes buds but the bitter after taste and smell really turn me off. I have tried several different brands, most recently Ballast Point's Sculpin, and I just don't enjoy the flavor. Definitely not slamming anyone's choice of beer, just wondering what I am missing in this style of beer.
man if you didn't like sculpin then you just don't like the style. that is hands down one of my favorite IPA's of all time.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7836 Times on 5490 Posts

I could ask the same question about wheat beer. I can't stand wheat beers. It tastes like liquid grape nuts to me. Worse than that is hefeweizen. Yuck! Wheat beer with icky "flavors".

I love IPAs, but hate wheat beers. I guess that's why there are so many different styles of beer- plenty for all of us to love.

sithspitt Likes This 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

I'm not an American IPA fan. But I am a sometimes double IPA fan and an English IPA fan.

Part of it is I don't like the "C" hops very much. The rest of it is that regular IPAs tend not to have a strong malt character. Whereas the maltiness comes through better in a DIPA.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Heineken

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Southern NH
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

If you love hops, you'll love IPAs. I love hops and therefore, a IPA fanatic. However, I can see where some people wouldn't like the smell of hops and would be turned off. That leaves you with only about 50 types left to brew.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

Bitter is not a flavor humans are supposed to like. Thats why anything bitter like black coffee and hoppy beers require more of an aquired taste than say coffee with tons of sugar or milder, easier drinking beers. Maybe you'll never like them. Thats ok too.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Liked 845 Times on 610 Posts

Quote:
IPA's... what's the draw?

Alcohol and Hops.

Love it or leave it. It's up to you.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

IPAs= Blech. I don't like coffee, either.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
BogusOwnz
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Lake Forest, IL
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I enjoy some IPA like two hearted is one of my favorite beers but they just aren't my go to style. I don't like any IIPAs I've tried.