Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Danstar windsor

Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
octo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Danstar windsor

I recently decided to do a cider with windsor yeast. I did 3 gallons of apple juice, roughly a pound of turbinado sugar, and a pack of windsor. my OG was 1.061, is there a rough estimate to what my F.G. should be with this yeast?

also, I did a small starter with this yeast simpy because it was old and wanted to see if it was still viable, anyways I know danstar says not to because they do some special thing to the yeast or whatever, anyways I mixed it with about 16 ounces of apple juice and some sugar and it got a large krausen on it almost immediately. I used this in my cider the next day and its not really krausening (?) but is getting little bubbles in it instead. did I damage the yeast by doing a starter with it? Thanks.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Potter1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i dont think you damaged to the yeast, but my understanding is there is a large enough cell count in dried yeast to negate the use of a starter. Did you use any yeast nutrient? From my experience there isn't enough nutrient in apple juice to give the yeasts enough gas to finish the job, but I've only done 2 ciders, so others may have more info on that matter

Primary 4 Air

Secondary 1 air
2 air
3 air
4 air
Kegged
Fall Amber, Sparkling Cider, Cream Soda, Gum Bleeder II, Dunkel
Damn big drinkin' weekend

Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
octo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I wasnt sure if i should use a nutrient with it since it took off so well when i mixed it with the 16 oz of juice. and i only did the starter thing because the yeast was old (a few years past date lol, was an experiment i suppose) but it definitely was still viable. should I use a nutrient?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Potter1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Better safe than sorry I would think. try searching the cider forum for yeast nutrient info, they should have all the info you need
Primary 4 Air

Secondary 1 air
2 air
3 air
4 air
Kegged
Fall Amber, Sparkling Cider, Cream Soda, Gum Bleeder II, Dunkel
Damn big drinkin' weekend

Old 05-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
octo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

seems like most things say its unnecessary to use a nutrient, but thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed some cider earlier this year with Windsor slurry, turned out great. I have since just been using White Labs English ale for everything. I just recently opened some of the cider made with the Windsor and can't believe how well the it worked. I didn't get any krausening with the Windsor but when I switched to the English ale it was a different story. I always add yeast nutrient in my ciders to avoid an extended fermentation. Did I mention how well Windsor worked? After fermentation I'll back sweeten with two cans of juice concentrate for 5 gallons.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I always thought ciders had little to no krausen and had a very long and slow fermentation
Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
I always thought ciders had little to no krausen and had a very long and slow fermentation
I never had krausening until I started using White Labs 002 English Ale yeast. If you stick with a modest gravity and add some nutrients it'll ferment in about 5 weeks. Some claim to have it fermented in about 14 days but I call it done when it drops clear. That's not going to happen in 14 days.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
I have a cider going right now with 1338 and it has some respectable krausen three days in.