Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Anyone in okinawa

Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #101
blstr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oki Brewer

Hope you guys don't mind me posting but...first and last time I brewed 10 years ago it ended up tasting like bandaids. I'd really like to get my feet wet again before laying out the cash on my own set-up , if anyone needs some help give me a pm......will work for beer...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #102
carrickj
Recipes 

Hello Okinawa brewers! I am new to the site and I realize this thread is nearly dead but I'll ask anyways.

I have only brewed using LME (Mr Beer) and I really want to step my game up a bit. The only problem I have is that I leave here in a month or so. What I would love to do is to sort of Audit/help in a all grain brewing experience so when I go back to the states I will have an on hand knowledge on what I'm doing, what to buy etc. Anyone willing to help me out would be much appreciated. PM me so I can get in contact with whomever. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #103
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrickj View Post
Hello Okinawa brewers! I am new to the site and I realize this thread is nearly dead but I'll ask anyways.

I have only brewed using LME (Mr Beer) and I really want to step my game up a bit. The only problem I have is that I leave here in a month or so. What I would love to do is to sort of Audit/help in a all grain brewing experience so when I go back to the states I will have an on hand knowledge on what I'm doing, what to buy etc. Anyone willing to help me out would be much appreciated. PM me so I can get in contact with whomever. Thanks!
Damn missed me by 2 days, just brewed an all grain Brown Ale Monday. I may be brewing this weekend or next weekend again but after that I leave for the PI for 6 weeks. PM me your email and I will let you know when I brew again. I work on Courtney as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #104
RUIN4T1ON
Recipes 

Hey,

So I just stumbled on this forum after searching on where to get my CO2 tank filled. It seems this thread has been dead for a bit, but figured it was worth a shot asking. Anyone left out there still brewing in Oki? I'm pretty new to the island and looking for fellow brewers. Lemme know, thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #105
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yep, still here (2yrs to go). Try to brew every other weekend if not diving. There is a pretty good homebrew club here in Oki. Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/229146713798200/ Okinawa Brewing Enthusiast Entertainment and Recreation.

Welcome to the Rock!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #106
RUIN4T1ON
Recipes 

Awesome, glad to hear! Just sent my request to join the group. Okano Gas Co pretty easy to get to? Any updates on prices (testing/adapter vs. rental/adapter)? I think I may try to drive by in the next few days to get my tank filled. I have my first batch made here, an IPA, waiting to be carbonated.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #107
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think that is the same place I got my tank, north side of Kadena. It cost $200 for a 6kg tank with adapter and $100 deposit, 15,000 Yen. They speak little to no English.

Here's a pic of the tank, I had to move it outside my keezer it is so damn tall. On the plus side I am at almost a year on 1 tank w/ 3 taps
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3251.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	47872  

Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #108
RUIN4T1ON
Recipes 

15,000 yen, ouch. A bit steep, but worth it for good beer. Nice set-up! I'm still trying to figure out a more permanent solution for chilling/storing my beer. I have one of those tiny Japanese fridges at my place and the BX's mini-fridges seem too small for my corny keg. I'll have to keep my eye out for a small freezer on okinawayardsales.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #109
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Foster furniture store has chest freezers (5 and 7cft). Freezer/ fridges go pretty damn quick on Bookoo. I'm trying to get a 7 or 9cft to upgrade.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #110
joebrodie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I have been on island for about 1.5 years, but between watching the kids and doing school my homebrewing has halted for a bit. I only brew extract kits because I do not have the setup for anything else, but they are tasty. As soon as we move on to Kadena, I am going to start an Altbier and buy a keg kit to get started with that.