Anyone in okinawa - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Anyone in okinawa

Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #101
blstr
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Altus, Oklahoma

Hope you guys don't mind me posting but...first and last time I brewed 10 years ago it ended up tasting like bandaids. I'd really like to get my feet wet again before laying out the cash on my own set-up , if anyone needs some help give me a pm......will work for beer...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #102
carrickj
Recipes 

Sep 2011
camp courtney, okinawa

Hello Okinawa brewers! I am new to the site and I realize this thread is nearly dead but I'll ask anyways.

I have only brewed using LME (Mr Beer) and I really want to step my game up a bit. The only problem I have is that I leave here in a month or so. What I would love to do is to sort of Audit/help in a all grain brewing experience so when I go back to the states I will have an on hand knowledge on what I'm doing, what to buy etc. Anyone willing to help me out would be much appreciated. PM me so I can get in contact with whomever. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #103
Chap

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Kailua, Hawaii
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrickj View Post
Hello Okinawa brewers! I am new to the site and I realize this thread is nearly dead but I'll ask anyways.

I have only brewed using LME (Mr Beer) and I really want to step my game up a bit. The only problem I have is that I leave here in a month or so. What I would love to do is to sort of Audit/help in a all grain brewing experience so when I go back to the states I will have an on hand knowledge on what I'm doing, what to buy etc. Anyone willing to help me out would be much appreciated. PM me so I can get in contact with whomever. Thanks!
Damn missed me by 2 days, just brewed an all grain Brown Ale Monday. I may be brewing this weekend or next weekend again but after that I leave for the PI for 6 weeks. PM me your email and I will let you know when I brew again. I work on Courtney as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #104
RUIN4T1ON
Recipes 

Feb 2012
APO, AP

Hey,

So I just stumbled on this forum after searching on where to get my CO2 tank filled. It seems this thread has been dead for a bit, but figured it was worth a shot asking. Anyone left out there still brewing in Oki? I'm pretty new to the island and looking for fellow brewers. Lemme know, thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #105
Chap

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Kailua, Hawaii

Yep, still here (2yrs to go). Try to brew every other weekend if not diving. There is a pretty good homebrew club here in Oki. Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/229146713798200/ Okinawa Brewing Enthusiast Entertainment and Recreation.

Welcome to the Rock!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #106
RUIN4T1ON
Recipes 

Feb 2012
APO, AP

Awesome, glad to hear! Just sent my request to join the group. Okano Gas Co pretty easy to get to? Any updates on prices (testing/adapter vs. rental/adapter)? I think I may try to drive by in the next few days to get my tank filled. I have my first batch made here, an IPA, waiting to be carbonated.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #107
Chap

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Kailua, Hawaii

I think that is the same place I got my tank, north side of Kadena. It cost $200 for a 6kg tank with adapter and $100 deposit, 15,000 Yen. They speak little to no English.

Here's a pic of the tank, I had to move it outside my keezer it is so damn tall. On the plus side I am at almost a year on 1 tank w/ 3 taps
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3251.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	47872  

Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #108
RUIN4T1ON
Recipes 

Feb 2012
APO, AP

15,000 yen, ouch. A bit steep, but worth it for good beer. Nice set-up! I'm still trying to figure out a more permanent solution for chilling/storing my beer. I have one of those tiny Japanese fridges at my place and the BX's mini-fridges seem too small for my corny keg. I'll have to keep my eye out for a small freezer on okinawayardsales.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #109
Chap

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Kailua, Hawaii

Foster furniture store has chest freezers (5 and 7cft). Freezer/ fridges go pretty damn quick on Bookoo. I'm trying to get a 7 or 9cft to upgrade.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #110
joebrodie
Recipes 

Dec 2010
, Washington

I have been on island for about 1.5 years, but between watching the kids and doing school my homebrewing has halted for a bit. I only brew extract kits because I do not have the setup for anything else, but they are tasty. As soon as we move on to Kadena, I am going to start an Altbier and buy a keg kit to get started with that.