Thicker head? Smaller head bubbles? how to? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thicker head? Smaller head bubbles? how to?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Manchvegas, NH
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My beers tend to have larger head bubbles, and not the thick, creamy, even lumpy head I associate with my favorite bought beers... The head lasts long enough, and there's nice lacing as I drink, but the bubble size is generally more what I associate with soda than with beer.

Brewing full boils, extract w/ steeping grains, immersion chiller, usually irish moss, 3wk primary, secondary if I'm feeling sassy, usually 4+ weeks in the bottle.

Ideas? or am I just nuts?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Frodo
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Petersburg, AK
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggie View Post
or am I just nuts?
Probably. But don't worry you're in good company.

I used to use DME to bottle, thinking that the bubbles were smaller and the head thicker. Lately I've been using corn sugar and it gives me a cleaner taste quicker and the head seems just fine though *maybe* bigger bubbles.

Have you tried DME?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
JJL

Recipes 

Feb 2010
, WI
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

Could be a lot of things. Malts, hops, yeast it all impacts the look and retention of the head. You might start with your yeast. Different yeast promotes different head types.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
danlad
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Edinburgh
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well known method, but works amazingly. If you can, mash 200g/half a pound or so of flaked wheat. Whether that is by mini mashing or whatever technique you can use, it gives an almost draught head.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
kingmatt

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Souderton, PA
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggie View Post
My beers tend to have larger head bubbles, and not the thick, creamy, even lumpy head I associate with my favorite bought beers... The head lasts long enough, and there's nice lacing as I drink, but the bubble size is generally more what I associate with soda than with beer.

Brewing full boils, extract w/ steeping grains, immersion chiller, usually irish moss, 3wk primary, secondary if I'm feeling sassy, usually 4+ weeks in the bottle.

Ideas? or am I just nuts?
I've heard good things about this product:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/munto...my-x-7-oz.html

I'm going to give it a try on my next bottling day...
-=My Keezer Build=-