When to plant.... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > When to plant....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
big supper
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 425
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



I have my rhizomes in my fridge. I would plant them now, but I am moving in about one month. The plan is to plant them in pots and carfully transplant them at the beginning of June. My only real concern is that I need them to still fit in my car when I move them. How high will first year plants grow in one month? Should I wait a week or two, or just plant them now like I want to do so badly!!???!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Springfield, MA
Posts: 1,329
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by big supper View Post
I have my rhizomes in my fridge. I would plant them now, but I am moving in about one month. The plan is to plant them in pots and carfully transplant them at the beginning of June. My only real concern is that I need them to still fit in my car when I move them. How high will first year plants grow in one month? Should I wait a week or two, or just plant them now like I want to do so badly!!???!
If you're planting in pots go ahead and do that now. They won't grow very high in a month. You can keep them in pots this season and transplant next spring.
__________________
"Just remember Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"....Philip J. Fry

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
StAnthonyB
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
New York
Posts: 326
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefarmer View Post
If you're planting in pots go ahead and do that now. They won't grow very high in a month. You can keep them in pots this season and transplant next spring.
Cloney,

This year I planted, as an experiment, 20 rhizomes (10 variety with 2 rhizomes per). So far they are all up - some with multiple shoots. What have you planted in Springfield?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
northernlad
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
NW
Posts: 1,628
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts


It is possible the head start you will get will be nullified by the shock of transplanting unless you transplant the entire pot of soil.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Clonefarmer
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Springfield, MA
Posts: 1,329
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StAnthonyB View Post
Cloney,

This year I planted, as an experiment, 20 rhizomes (10 variety with 2 rhizomes per). So far they are all up - some with multiple shoots. What have you planted in Springfield?
I planted Cascade, Hallertau and Nugget last year. The Hallertau didn't do too well and didn't come back this year. The Cascade and nugget do really well. I planted cuttings from the Cascade last year and those are doing really well too. All the Bines are between 3' and 4'.
__________________
"Just remember Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"....Philip J. Fry

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
big supper
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 425
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
It is possible the head start you will get will be nullified by the shock of transplanting unless you transplant the entire pot of soil.
Ya, my plan was to just dig a hole and put the whole contents of the pot in. Maybe some compost as well.

I don't think that they will be more than 5 feet by the end of May. If they are I will find a solution! I was thinking about it more yesterday, and I think that I will just go ahead and plant them. I don't know why I have been 'stressing' about it. I do want to do it right and have a good first year of establishment, but if they don't all work out I can just get some more next year. It's not really as big of a deal as I was making it out to be in my head!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010008.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	15464  


 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to plant?? GIusedtoBe Hops Growing 12 03-29-2010 10:16 PM
When to plant? ol' rummie Hops Growing 2 10-24-2009 09:09 PM
When to plant and where to buy - UK bfbf Hops Growing 2 08-18-2009 11:02 PM
when to plant ddknight Hops Growing 5 02-22-2008 03:55 PM
Where to plant? FishinDave07 Hops Growing 4 02-21-2008 06:47 PM


Forum Jump