Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Planning on going Pro!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #31
sp1365
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Good luck!

I will be doing this as well in the next coming years. I am writing up my business plan now for a production brewery in Northern IL.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #32
munche
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Awesome! I've been frequenting a local brewer (Inland Empire Brewing in Riverside) who just made the jump from homebrewers to pro brewers. They've taken much the same road as you it looks like.

Good luck!

On Draft: Empire Strikes Brau, Dead By Dawn, Fail Ale, Yellow Fever Blonde

Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #33
seabrew8
Recipes 

Good luck dude, sounds exciting.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #34
lucasszy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1365 View Post
Good luck!

I will be doing this as well in the next coming years. I am writing up my business plan now for a production brewery in Northern IL.
Drop me a note if you want to trade ideas back and forth. I have some amazing and really detailed worksheets that you can use to project growth, returns, break even points, as well as some well thought out business plan templates.

Best of luck to you too, as well! We need more local beer everywhere!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #35
lucasszy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
Congrats and Good Luck.

But does this mean I should grab up your recipes before you copyright them?
Funny thing is that there is a few recipes that I havent posted anywhere, because I am copyrighting them. Very unique takes on some awesome beer, think in the same arena as Anchor Brewing and their Steam Beer (TM)(C). I hate to even start things with this mentality, but there is something to say about having exclusive rights to something.

Once all the paperwork is done for the copyright, I fully believe in sharing recipes and methods. We can all make great beer, but I just think that I have a few interesting twists on the same old thing that just might make this a venture to pursue!

Cheers All!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #36
lucasszy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionalChaos View Post
Good luck! Sounds like you are doing the right things. And I have to give a prost to a fellow cuber that is going pro. Don't for get the going pro group here, are you posting there?
I honestly dont feel that I am worthy of that group yet. I dont have equipment yet, I dont have a place yet, I have even begun to start the paperwork. 3 months and I'll feel up to par.

But I am actually quite happy with how my negotiations for the brewing equipment is going. Its always more than you expected, but its not a killer yet!

Cheers

Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #37
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Good luck mate, your certainly living the dream, im about 5-10 years behind you

Subscribed.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #38
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasszy View Post
Funny thing is that there is a few recipes that I havent posted anywhere, because I am copyrighting them. Very unique takes on some awesome beer, think in the same arena as Anchor Brewing and their Steam Beer (TM)(C). I hate to even start things with this mentality, but there is something to say about having exclusive rights to something.

Once all the paperwork is done for the copyright, I fully believe in sharing recipes and methods. We can all make great beer, but I just think that I have a few interesting twists on the same old thing that just might make this a venture to pursue!

Cheers All!
I know some breweries try to keep the recipes secret. I didn't know you could actually copyright a recipe.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #39
knelson
Recipes 

Good Luck Shizmo! Its always great to hear about people taking risks and making their dreams a reality. I respect that a lot.

About what the others have said about bottling, I agree that the best way to market and brand yourself is through bottles. With a keg, all you have is a tap handle. With bottles (or cans) exposure to the market is increased ten fold.

I would recommend talking to some local brewers who do bottle and work out a deal to contract their bottling/canning lines out. I have a friend who went pro in the last few years. He does all of his kegging and experimental beers at his on-site brewery. But he contracted his main brew out to a large brewery. He basically gives them the recipe and they brew it and can it for him. Saves him the time and money of having to buy the equipment. he was a bit leary at first to let someone else brew his beer, but it has turned out fantastic.

Just a thought....dont let the cost of a bottling line distract you from getting your brews on the shelfs of local liquor stores or in the hands of distributors.

Best of luck

Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #40
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julohan View Post
I know some breweries try to keep the recipes secret. I didn't know you could actually copyright a recipe.
Congrats! hope it works out well for you.

Also, it would be pretty hard to copyright a recipe. I work as an adheisve chemist and although we have many many formulations which are secret, nothing is copyrighted and very few things can even be patented. It's all just trade secret stuff. I imagine brewing recipes would be similar.