Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > super low alcohol beer
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Originally Posted by Trevor57 View Post
I was told by a German guy that they cut beers with sprite, for kids.
My son's went to Germany as teenagers on a hockey trip (super jealous). While they were there they went to a brewhaus (Very jelaous). My youngest son said the serve a drink called spetze (spelling?). He said it was cut with sprite.

Oh I received as a gift some lovely gigantic glass mugs and some absinthe.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #22
Liked 174 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Originally Posted by FreeM80s View Post
if i remember correctly, you partigyle a mash into 3 batches: a strong beer, a "normal" beer and a weak "nearbeer".
This is discussed in the All grain Barley wines. I have 0 clue where the thread is but just as the quote says they make a "strong beer" aka barley wine and then use the second and 3rd running for "kids beer".

Hops this helps!
“I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.”
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #23

Originally Posted by DaveMcPhee View Post
There's a few, but this is the market leader, and it's freaking delicious, nothing like beer though:
This is called "Malzbier" in German. I used to drink it heaps as a kid, it's very sweet and malty. I found a recipe in German but haven't tried it out yet.

Quick summary of the recipe:

Dark Munich 70%
German Pilsner 25%
Dark Caramel 5%

2 noble hops additions, 5% AA for a total of 20 IBU

Infusion mash as normal, boil for 90 minutes. (calculate approximate loss of 10% wort volume)

Cool and pitch ale yeast at 20°C, after a few hours cool down to 0-1°C. (I think you should get between 0.5 and 1% alcohol). Lager for some time. (again, not very precise). Dextrose may be added at this point.

The recipe doesn't state whether to pasteurise the beer, but I guess you could heat to 60°C to kill the yeast and then chill and keg.