Gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
After adding the gelatin to cold crashed beer.. do you warm the beer to room temp or put it back in the cooler until bottling?

You have to keep it cold otherwise the gelatin won't work correctly, basically for the reason Yooper mentioned. And by the way, don't boil your gelatin - only heat it to about 170F or you will have a mess.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I add gelatin to room temp fermenter and let it sit for 24 hours. This is when I see the final yeast drop out. Then I rack to a keg and cold crash where remaining gelatin will fall out.

Lately I've been going straight from 3-week primary to keg with gelatin and then into the chiller. But the gelatin is mixed with room temperature beer.

Adding gelatin to a warmer vessels insures thorough mixing. Adding freshly dissolved gelatin to a 35 degree container of beer will cause the gelatin to coagulate and drop out too quickly to bind with particulates.

Gelatin must be thoroughly dissolved...and then chilled in order to solidify and drop.

But like I said...maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I will be willing to bet that you're doing it right, BM! I've never used it, but I can't imagine that you'd crash cool with it and then allow it to warm before racking. Since you're the one who's used it with good results, I would say that you'd be the one who'd know. Maybe someday I'll get a cloudy beer and give it a try- I'm not against using finings at all.

Back