Can You Brew It Recipe for Big Sky Moose Drool - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You Brew It Recipe for Big Sky Moose Drool

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
EricCSU
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,168
Liked 62 Times on 32 Posts



I am going to put up the recipes from CYBI so that they are easy to reference. I will type the ingredients verbatim.

All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

Ferment at 67, increase to 70 after the bulk of fermentation.

SG 1052 (Jamil noted that his numbers were 1 plato high, but it still was cloned)
FG ?
30 IBU (increased from 26 IBU based on Jamil's interpretation of the beer).

White labs WLP002
Wyeast 1968

10.8 lbs domestic pale malt or 7.4 lbs pale LME
5.5 ounces chocolate malt 400l
1.25 lbs crystal 75-80
0.5 ounce black patent 525l


1.4 oz (41g) EKG 4.75AA @60m
0.6 oz (14g) Williamete @10m
0.6 oz (14g) Liberty @ 0m

Mash @154F

Jamil stated that you could increase IBUs by 5 and keep the gravity or decrease OG by 4 degrees and keep the bitterness the same. It may be slightly closer to the original.
__________________
Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
berley31
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Canada
Posts: 122

Just brewed this recipe a few days ago... hit mash temps well. Fermentation temps were a little up and down with this hot weather, but I think I managed pretty well. Efficiency was a little higher than I thought, so OG came out high at 1.058.

Been four days now, active fermentation seems to be done. Took a small sample, gravity at 1.016 right now. Sample tasted pretty good. Going to leave it for a couple more weeks before bottling. I'll post the bottled results in 4 weeks or so...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
MikeRLynch
 
MikeRLynch's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Connecticut
Posts: 888
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


I brewed this recently, and it came out a damn tasty beer. Granted, here in CT we don't have Moose Drool to compare it to, but on a recent trip out to Denver I got to try the real thing. From what I remember, this is a pretty close rendition. Recipe tweaked for ease of measuring and available hops.

Deer Dribble Brown Ale

10 lbs. American 2-row
1.25 lbs. American Caramel 80L
.25 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.03 lbs. American Black Patent
1.25 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 5 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.

Single infusion mash at 151 for 1 hour, 60 min boil. Fermented with Wyeast 1056 at 67 degrees. OG 1.053, FG 1.012. 19 SRM, 35 IBUs, 5.2% ABV
__________________
Lost Elm Brewing Co.
Stafford Springs, CT

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

fall-line Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
 
SpanishCastleAle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Central Florida
Posts: 4,345
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
30 IBU (increased from 26 IBU based on Jamil's interpretation of the beer).
This is reassuring because when I tried MD it def tasted like more than 26 IBU. And when I made my only 'clone' attempt mine was not as bitter.

Quote:
0.6 oz (14g) Williamete @10m
FWIW it's Willamette (no 'i') and I was told it's pronounced Will-ammit. A seemingly knowledgeable bartender at a beer bar told me to remember it like; "It's Will-ammit dammit" (say it so it rhymes). I had always pronounced it like a french word; Willa-met.
__________________
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

firebird400 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
hoppysailor
 
hoppysailor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Montana
Posts: 134
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


We brewed this recipe a while back and it was very close to the real thing. A couple of suggestions.

When scaling the recipe based on your efficiency, don't adjust the chocolate malt. I did and my "clone" lacked some of the chocolate malt character.

Matt Long, the head brewer at Big Sky suggested that homebrewers mash at 152 instead of the 154 that they mash at. I went with 152 but should have gone with 154.

Use Wyeast 1968 or WLP002. You can't truly clone it without the yeast. We used 1968.
__________________
Mountain View Brewery



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
berley31
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Canada
Posts: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by berley31 View Post
Just brewed this recipe a few days ago... hit mash temps well. Fermentation temps were a little up and down with this hot weather, but I think I managed pretty well. Efficiency was a little higher than I thought, so OG came out high at 1.058.

Been four days now, active fermentation seems to be done. Took a small sample, gravity at 1.016 right now. Sample tasted pretty good. Going to leave it for a couple more weeks before bottling. I'll post the bottled results in 4 weeks or so...
Ok, so, beer has been bottled for about 2&1/2 weeks now. FG was at 1.016. It's been over a year since I've had Moose Drool, so unfortunately I can't really tell how close I came. BUT, it's definitely quite decent... slightly sweet, touch of chocolate, a bit of fruitiness from the 1968, with a present-but-not-overly-firm bitterness in the finish (from what I remember and have read since, Moose Drool really isn't a very bitter American Brown, esp. compared to some other beers of the style.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
carl_g
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Short Hills, NJ
Posts: 99
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Just brewed this Wednesday. My mash temp was off a little at 152 but I nailed the SG @1.052 It is happily fermenting @67*F. I used Safale S-03. Can't wait to have this!
__________________
On deck! :
Black Butte Porter Clone
Primary:
Moose Drool Clone
Secondary:
Empty:(
Kegged:
Carl's Brew Wrks - House Pale Ale
Carl's Brew Wrks - Cream Ale


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
kanzimonson
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 2,174
Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts


I have now brewed this four times. The first was the exact recipe, but since then I have made slight variations with each rebrew. It has now become my house beer. What I like about it most is how versatile it is. With that in mind, check out the most recent version I made - a freakin' AMAZING IBA:

OG - 1.064
IBU - 56.6
FG - 1.021

The grain bill maintains the exact percentages of the original recipe but with the higher OG. Mashed at 154.

Mash salts in ppm:
Ca 271, Mg 10, Na 58, Cl 53, SO4 100, RA 168

HOPS:
-all hops are pellets
-the AA is 8.7% for the Centennial, and 7.5% for the Amarillo

7g Centennial - 60min
7g Amarillo - 60min
56g Centennial - 10 min
56g Amarillo - 0 min
14g Centennial - dry (6 days)
14g Amarillo - dry

Wyeast 1968 @ 67*, ramping up as fermentation neared the end. I added the dry hops towards the end of fermentation.

Just carbed this up on day 11 and it's amazing. Obviously very citrusy hop forward and you think you're drinking an IPA until this creamy coffee thing sets in. It has a nice back and forth medley with the sweetness/bitterness and leaves a light quenching bitterness in the aftertaste. Right now somebody would probably think I made a black IPA, but I think in a week or two the hops will fade just enough, and the beer will level to the point that it's clearly an IBA. Really really happy with this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
EricCSU
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,168
Liked 62 Times on 32 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
I have now brewed this four times. The first was the exact recipe, but since then I have made slight variations with each rebrew. It has now become my house beer. What I like about it most is how versatile it is. With that in mind, check out the most recent version I made - a freakin' AMAZING IBA:

OG - 1.064
IBU - 56.6
FG - 1.021

The grain bill maintains the exact percentages of the original recipe but with the higher OG. Mashed at 154.

Mash salts in ppm:
Ca 271, Mg 10, Na 58, Cl 53, SO4 100, RA 168

HOPS:
-all hops are pellets
-the AA is 8.7% for the Centennial, and 7.5% for the Amarillo

7g Centennial - 60min
7g Amarillo - 60min
56g Centennial - 10 min
56g Amarillo - 0 min
14g Centennial - dry (6 days)
14g Amarillo - dry

Wyeast 1968 @ 67*, ramping up as fermentation neared the end. I added the dry hops towards the end of fermentation.

Just carbed this up on day 11 and it's amazing. Obviously very citrusy hop forward and you think you're drinking an IPA until this creamy coffee thing sets in. It has a nice back and forth medley with the sweetness/bitterness and leaves a light quenching bitterness in the aftertaste. Right now somebody would probably think I made a black IPA, but I think in a week or two the hops will fade just enough, and the beer will level to the point that it's clearly an IBA. Really really happy with this.
Have you ever brewed Janet's Brown Ale?
__________________
Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

RNaka Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
kanzimonson
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 2,174
Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts


No, but I had it at Russian River and I've seen the recipe. My beer is much richer and thicker than Janet's Brown, which I mostly attribute to the yeast selection. I hate California Ale.

Also, Moose Drool has a bit more roasty grains and darker crystal. JB isn't very chocolatey at all.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewery eschatz Commercial Brew Discussion 93 09-27-2014 07:29 PM
Brew Baby - Moose Drool Brew Video FishinDave07 General Beer Discussion 14 03-18-2010 10:39 PM
Maybe sweeten a Moose Drool with lactose? Mainebrew Recipes/Ingredients 2 03-25-2009 10:33 PM
I found Moose Drool in Atlanta!!! Duckfoot Commercial Brew Discussion 2 02-02-2009 04:37 AM
Moose Drool and Odelle's IPA... Thirdeye Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 1 01-19-2008 03:14 AM


Forum Jump