Boddington Pub-Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm drinking a Bod right now that probably is from Strangeway Brewery in Manchester before it was sold.

It tastes pretty damn awesome. It has a super-creamy head. - Nitro widget out of the can. (Some leftovers from a party in April....)

Does anyboy have a extract clone recipe?

The head is almost as good as Cheesefoods Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale. It looks almost like a milkshake.

Check out the pub ale recipe in my sig. I designed it as a Boddy clone and it turned out spot on--I'm not kidding. The yeast is key.

That beer won a first in a competition in the Standard Bitter category.

Dude,

Thanks for the recipe. Copied it.... I might need to ask about the wheat flakes later....

Never used them before...

Go Packers... unless its you guys up against dem chi-town bears....

Schlenkerla said:
Dude,

Thanks for the recipe. Copied it.... I might need to ask about the wheat flakes later....

Never used them before...

Go Packers... unless its you guys up against dem chi-town bears....

The wheat flakes are for head retention. Every HBS has them. They (along with the oats) give it a nice rocky head that last forever, giving it that nitro "feel" for those of us who can't afford real nitro. :D

Dude,

I love a head!!! Good and dense...

No, really. I like a big pour with large head, wait to so see how it settles out in the glass. Even on BMC so I can diss it...

Looking for belgian lace.

I have a brown ale that I absolutely love at the pour, awesome head, great smell and taste.

I'm gonna give this a try... Thanks a bunch!!! This will spurn a bunch a new ideas for me!!!:rockin:

orfy said:
Looks like a good recipe. What does the Sugar do for it? Apart from raise ABV.

I'm curious to know what the sugar is for too. I followed an extract recipe for Boddy and it called for cane in the boil and brown (3/8 cup packed) for priming.

It didn't taste too bad for green beer when sampling at bottling time...unlike a few others I've tasted.

Edit: See the "-ish" in my signature? Oopsie, at brew time I realized I only had two of the three necessary hops. I had to up the NB for lack of Fuggle.

I added the brown sugar for mainly 1 reason. I wanted kind of a hint of a caramelly, nutty taste. It worked out pretty good.

I cooked the sugar on low heat for a while before I added it to the brew pot, and it caramelized a little bit.

In my opinion, next to the Pliny clone, this was the best beer I've ever done. For a first shot at the recipe, it turned out exactly what I wanted it to be. In fact, I anointed this beer my "house beer". :D

Dude--I just racked that beer this morning.

I didn't taste it (it was like 7:30 in the morning), but it smelled spectacular: subtle EKG aroma and a nice nuttiness. I think this is going to be really good.

cweston said:
Dude--I just racked that beer this morning.

I didn't taste it (it was like 7:30 in the morning), but it smelled spectacular: subtle EKG aroma and a nice nuttiness. I think this is going to be really good.

Cool. I hope you like it! I'm brewing a Pub Ale next. It is looking like Monday will be a brewday. I just cleared a carboy so I'm ready to brew!!!!

Extract version:

Pub Ale--EXTRACT version

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-A English Pale Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Min OG: 1.032 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Extract (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.042 Plato: 10.48
Anticipated SRM: 8.1
Anticipated IBU: 32.2
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
46.2 3.00 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
15.4 1.00 lbs. Toasted Malt(2-row) America 1.033 6
7.7 0.50 lbs. Brown Sugar Generic 1.046 4
7.7 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
7.7 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
7.7 0.50 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 29.0 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.2 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WhiteLabs WLP005 (or equiv)

Notes:

Steep all grains together at around 150° with a little bit of DME.

Testimonial: This is one hell of a good beer. It's been not quite two months since brew day and it is drinking quite nicely already. I will definitely brew this again.

Im new to brewing. my first batch( kit beer) i am bottling tomorrow and starting my 2nd kit to get familiarized somewhat with the process. DUDE i am a raider fan ,i was wondering if you might tell me what a sig was so i could find your recipe for the boddy clone . i love the boddington beer. thanks mike

Dude,

I'm going to do the extract version of your recipe, but is your hop list used assuming a full wort boil?

I will be doing a 3 gallon boil and am just wondering if I need to make any adjustments.

Thanks!
DSLZen

Dude, in hindsight I figured this is a better place to comment on my results of the pub ale for now (hope you see it).

Anywho, "I thought" my efficiency was around 70% but upon further review in Promash I was actually crap at 60%. So naturally that has nothing to do with your recipe and what I was originally going to ask you.

What I was going to inquire on was how much runnings were you able to capture with such a light grain bill of 8.5#? I usually check to make sure I don't go below 1.010 and all I got was 7g before I had to stop. I usually capture about 8 - 8.5 because of kettle & whole hops loss and 75-90 minute boils when trying to get to 5.25 or so to the fermenter. Net result because of my sh!tty efficiency and 7g capture I ended up having to add 1# of light DME to get back to 1.045 OG. I probably got 4.75 in the fermenter.

I'm thinking its still gonna be great but real interested in your sparge results/commentary.

I always waver a bit between sparging out 7 gallons to 8 gallons, depending on the humidity and how much I figure I'll boil off.

I was a bit low on my gravity this time too--but I batch sparged it vs. fly sparging which I did last time.

Also keep in mind the variances of malts--your marris otter (or whatever you use) might be higher/lower than what I'm using. I think it just has to be an experimental thing. Lots of variables in this.

Yea, I will tweak as necessary. Next time won't be a double AG day. Who knows wtf I did :). I'm assuming less humidity the more evap right? And considering where I live why I need 8 to get to 5.

desertBrew said:
Yea, I will tweak as necessary. Next time won't be a double AG day. Who knows wtf I did :). I'm assuming less humidity the more evap right? And considering where I live why I need 8 to get to 5.

You are correct. That is one good thing about brewing there--you have a little bit more steady humidity. Here it varies so much.

Brewed this up last night, though I subed Victory for the toasted pale since I don't have a grinder. Looks and smells great, thanks for the recipe El Duderino.

I just tasted the second attempt at this--turned out nice. For some reason it doesn't have that distinctive boddies aroma to it like the last one did. Don't know why, I did everything the same in this batch.

Oh well, it is on gas now.

:)

I think I found my next brew!
I will follow it spot on except for the brown sugar. I've got some Belgian Candi Syrup left over that might be interesting in this recipe. I'm also bumping it up to 5 1/2 gallons.:mug:
Edit:
Here's my preliminary recipe. This is a low OG for me so hope I can stay the course and not up the 2 row.
Pub ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.75
Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 10.85
Anticipated SRM: 11.1
Anticipated IBU: 27.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
57.1 5.00 lbs. American 2-row America 1.037 2
17.1 1.50 lbs. Toasted Malt(2-row) America 1.033 30
6.4 0.56 lbs. Belgian Candi Syrup (dark) Belgium 1.038 80
6.4 0.56 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
6.4 0.56 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
6.4 0.56 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 25.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 1.7 5 min.

Yeast
WYeast 1098 British Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 8.19
Water Qts: 10.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.22 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.16 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

How are you handling priming? i know these are lower carbonation brews... how little, if any priming sugar are you using?

And how to keep from overfoaming from a CO2 tap?

Check out the pub ale recipe in my sig. I designed it as a Boddy clone and it turned out spot on--I'm not kidding. The yeast is key.

That beer won a first in a competition in the Standard Bitter category.

Hi,

Your signature doesn't contain a link to the pub ale recipie. Could you please post it?

Idar

Thanks Dude.
I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to brewing and love a good Boddy, so thought I'd tried this recipe using the extract method.
My brew supply store didn't have the whirlfloc tablet or the Whitelabs WLP005, so I substituted Irish Moss and and Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast.
7 days in the primary and 7 in the secondary.
I kegged it on Monday and tried it last night.
This is by far one of the best recipes I've brewed to date! Soft, creamy, mild hopiness and just a hint of sweet. This will be a staple in my kegerator!
Awesome!

Back