Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fig Mead

Old 04-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
BillyGHusk
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Ashevillle

Hello all!

New to the site.

Have been homebrewing for about 6-8 months, just beer and a so-so cider(my first ever brew, man I have learned so much since) so far.

I am finding myself drawn to mead. I have found no real mention of a fig mead. It seems to me this would have been a natural combination, thinking historically anyway.

Thoughts? I must be missing something.

Tim

Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
frogguruami
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Deland, FL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did a fig wine once. Put it on some oak and it kicked booty! Fig mead sounds great!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

I have been wanting to do a fig mead. I was thinking fresh juicy black forest figs. Non-dried. You can find dried figs at any time of the year. But will it make good mead? I have heard some people over at gotmead.com have done fig and it makes a great dry mead. I however want a sweet mead. My puzzlement is how many figs to use and to have a carboy open and honey when figs are in season. I hear that the fig season to get them is short and you need to be very picky on the figs for a good flavor. Beyond that love to hear your suggestions and ideas and if you do a fig mead then let us know the recipies or even do a brewlog. Recipie first then updates on how it is going and then when it is done and aged how it tastes and what you would do diffrent. Good Luck.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
crackhead7
Recipes 

Apr 2010
cleveland, ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this sounds like a great Idea I would to hear the results

Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
meading_of_minds
Recipes 

Jan 2010
IL, Bureau Cty, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That does sound like it would be a definite go-with for mead. Even better, start the mead as a burnt mead to develop the caramel. Now I'm getting ideas, too.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
frogguruami
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Deland, FL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used dried figs in the wine I made. I will try to find the brew notes for it. The grape concentrate would probably sub equally for the honey. Or would at least be a good place to start from. I only made a gallon at the time and it was years ago at this point. The last bottle of that wine was served at a few months ago.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
BillyGHusk
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Ashevillle

I was planning on using dried figs. Have used dried cherries for a couple of beers and been happy with the results. Amount of figs is yet to be determined, was looking for some insight here. Will be brewing in 1-2.5 gal. batches. Any thoughts on an herd/spice that would work well? I will definitly post what I do.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Kansas City MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good contender for blending, too, as a braggot with chocolate stout as the base. Or a dubbel.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #9
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Florida
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Fig melomel can be outstanding. However, figs don't add a lot of distinctive aroma/flavor; it tends to stay in the background. It adds great body, acidity and mouthfeel, and gives the result a very vinous quality. I used fresh Brown Turkey figs from my Father's tree which he froze for me - they will spoil very quickly if not handled carefully. I'd use at least 3 pounds per gallon. If you use dried figs, the amount could be adjusted.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
BillyGHusk
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Ashevillle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWortHog View Post
Sounds like a good contender for blending, too, as a braggot with chocolate stout as the base. Or a dubbel.
Yea, dubbel's are my favorite beer. Would also like to try adding figs there as well.