Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My landlord told me to stop brewing!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
JNye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

its the same as cooking, i would ignore and proceed with your regularily scheduled life.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Since you have not really told us your brew set up I find it odd that everyone is jumping on the landlord without knowing the facts. You could be shooting 5 foot flames off the deck with a propane burner for all we know.

Are you indoors and brewing on your stove and he/she is smelling the wort or what's really going on. If you are just cooking a pot of wort on the stove I don't see the issue.
Could be they got complaints from a neighbor.

Assuming you are doing everything safe, I'd invite the guy over for lunch and a brew session and make yourself a new buddy.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
jordanpace
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 34

my neighbor recently told me he hopes i dont blow up my house... i explained the difference between brewing and distilling.. but he still tried to lecture me about blowing my house up.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

They have to give you 24 hours notice if they are coming into inspect, so that should give you ample time to move stuff out and get 'rid' of the fantastic smell associated with homebrewing. Like others have said, if there is nothing in your lease stating that you can't brew, politely tell him that you can brew and if you pay your rent on time, not a problem.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Your landlord is an idiot...perhaps his former tenant was running a meth lab?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #16
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 194 Posts

Let me first say that I am not an expert on CA tenancy laws, nor do I know what your lease says. What I can say comes from my experience as in Texas as an apartment dweller and some general contract rules.

Most leases are drafted by an industry group (of landlord businesses) or at least have been constructed with legal assistance to protect the landlord's interests. There are likely clauses buried in the lease that allow them to classify what you are doing as "dangerous" to other tenants or the building, so they could tell you to stop engaging in a particular activity upon threat of eviction. So, fighting with your landlord over this puts you at a severe risk (even if you don't care about getting kicked out of this rental, other landlords will be loathe to allow you as a tenant knowing you were evicted.)

On the otherhand, what you are doing is really little more than boiling food and storing it in plastic/glass containers, and surely that would be permitted under your lease. However, there may be general issues with how you brew that are forbidden under the lease. For example, if you are brewing outdoors on a fryer, your lease may forbid you to operate a heat source on your balcony/patio (if that applies). Your lease may forbid you from building/using homemade electrical devices, etc.

Before you tell your landlord to shove it, keep in mind that your lease can be used -- very easily -- by your landlord to evict you. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask him to discuss the matter with you further to give you an opportunity to provide more information on your processes and try to work out some compromise to keep both sides happy.
NorCalAngler Likes This 
Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #17
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Like the others said, the only thing wrong you could be doing is using a burner on the porch/parking lot/patio. If you aren't doing that, and are boiling on the stovetop

option 1 - take an opportunity to educate someone about homebrewing. Most people are rather ignorant of the process. A simple conversation might set him straight, and even get him to consider the hobby himself

option 2 - dont stop. If you are brewing inside on the stove, how the hell will he know you are still doing it? If they do an inspection, hide the fermenters, or say you are making pickles or something.

If you are using a burner on the porch/patio/parking lot, thats probably against the rules. Start brewing 3.5 gallon stovetop batches.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #18
danger831
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

just tell him your making cookies and bread then make cookies and bread out of the spent grain

Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
deviousalex
Recipes 

So I'm looking at the lease and I found this quote under the section saying this premises are rented for residential only:
"assembling or manufacturing any product upon the Premises"
and
"Residents also agree not to do or permit anything to be done in the Premises that may be deemed hazardous"
These are the only relevant sections I could find.

Is it possible to blow up a keg by over-pressurizing the CO2?

As far as my setup goes I'm just boiling a 6 gallon pot on the stove which is a heating element, not even a flame burner.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #20
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have a fairly mainstream homebrewing setup, I think he's fearful out of ignorance. I'd try to explain to him that you're really not doing anything beyond boiling water.

Tags
landlord