Murky Soupy Sweet & Sour Beer - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Murky Soupy Sweet & Sour Beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
emerty
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Patience!


Seriously, you said it looked like soup. Does it, or does it not, have the consistency of soup? I mean, is it thick? Or is it just not clear? "Murkiness" is common in MANY beers. I'm not an IPA guy, so I can't say whether IPA's are supposed to be clear, but I've had plenty of tasty brews that were as cloudy as swamp waters. Famously, Bavaraian hefeweisens come to mind for this.
Hi, it definitely does not have the consistency of soup, it is still fairly low in viscosity but is definitely cloudy as hell.

I shall wait some more and see if the taste improves.

thanks



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
magno
 
magno's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Austin, TX
Posts: 900
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


Give it some time and take some samples along the way. If you keep a log, make notes on the samples and see if the taste and/or look changes. If it hasnt improved in a week or two dump it.

- magno



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
emerty
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Patience!


Seriously, you said it looked like soup. Does it, or does it not, have the consistency of soup? I mean, is it thick? Or is it just not clear? "Murkiness" is common in MANY beers. I'm not an IPA guy, so I can't say whether IPA's are supposed to be clear, but I've had plenty of tasty brews that were as cloudy as swamp waters. Famously, Bavaraian hefeweisens come to mind for this.
thinking about it some more, no IPA's I've seen are ever murky... I'll leave it but I think something has got in there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #14
emerty
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno
Give it some time and take some samples along the way. If you keep a log, make notes on the samples and see if the taste and/or look changes. If it hasnt improved in a week or two dump it.

- magno
thanks, i'll do that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Posts: 4,005
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts


Your description of "sweet and sour" leaves me a bit confused. I mean, I describe americanized ESB's as being "sweet and sour"... they have lots of hops for bitterness, and yet, they use a strain of yeast that really brings out a lot of fruity malty sweetness.

So, when you say "sweet and sour", can you be more specific?

Is it sour like vinegar? astringent like a fresh bandaid? or just very bitter?

Is it sweet like cider? Or is it a complex malty sweetness?


What was the recipe?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #16
Ellie-ut
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Upstate NY
Posts: 32

I had a hef last night that was so murky you couldn't see light through it.

IPA's when I make them are almost always cloudy and dark. As long as nothing is floating in there you are good. Let it mellow a bit, maybe a few weeks, but open one every week.

If you get a chance go here to read about common off flovors and infections in beer

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #17
emerty
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie-ut
I had a hef last night that was so murky you couldn't see light through it.

IPA's when I make them are almost always cloudy and dark. As long as nothing is floating in there you are good. Let it mellow a bit, maybe a few weeks, but open one every week.

If you get a chance go here to read about common off flovors and infections in beer

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html
OK, somewaht reassured... thanks for all the help and advice. Muchos appreciated

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #18
Ellie-ut
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Upstate NY
Posts: 32

Glad we were able to help you emerty

did you read about the infections and stuff?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #19
emerty
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie-ut
Glad we were able to help you emerty

did you read about the infections and stuff?
Hi, yes, I think I'm looking at Esters. Smelled it again today and got a real whiff of bananas, so I'm guessing I pitched at too high a temp...?


 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #20
67coupe390
 
67coupe390's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Posts: 509
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Ive done a few Ipa's
My take as an arm chair quarterback is that it is an IPA and it is going to be bitter. Thats the name of the game with the IPA. All of my IPA's needed bottle cond. for three weeks or more before they tasted yummy!!! I say, Give it time!!!


__________________
Coupe 390

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sweet and Sour, kinda scared Beau815 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 03-26-2009 03:54 AM
Experimental Sweet and Sour Beer - Success! EinGutesBier Recipes/Ingredients 0 03-24-2009 08:22 PM
Experimental Sweet and Sour Ale Recipe EinGutesBier Recipes/Ingredients 15 02-24-2009 05:10 PM
murky to clear to murky? 444Tsgt Cider Forum 5 05-07-2008 11:45 AM
Sweet/sour smelling starter david_the_greek General Techniques 4 09-02-2007 09:16 PM


Forum Jump