Hi folks. Did my second AG yesterday and had an issue I don't understand. I mashed in with 15 qts. and after an hour these runnings had a gravity of 1067. I am shooting for 1049 so I just figured after sparging it would be right (correct assumption?). However, after sparging 5 gallons I was reading 1014. At first I assumed I was misreading somehow given the drastic drop, but I measured a couple of times and kept getting 1014. Even accounting for temperature adjustments this was a drastic drop.
I think I did a couple of things wrong, first I think I didn't let the sparge water sit long enough (I was batch sparging by the way). Second I should have stirred the sweet wort after sparging before taking a reading. Also, 5 gallons seemed like a lot to sparge with to me but I was following BeerSmith. Lastly I think I just f'd up somehow with my readings. I bought a refractomoter later that afternoon I was so frustrated. I'm not sure how much sweet wort I had after both runnings but it had to be around six gallons
I boiled for two hours to try and correct the low gravity. I ended up with about 3.5 gallons of wort, although I was happy that the OG was 1054 since I was shooting for 1057.