Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Found a great deal, but need some info.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Corey_James
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Found a great deal, but need some info.

After getting my daily gross of freecycle e-mails I ran across one where a guy was getting rid of some of his old brewing equipment and bottles. When I got there, he had about 150 quart bottles, 2 20 gallon fermenting buckets and then he gave me 2 8 gallon oak barrels that he keep filled with water when not in use. He was a wine guy and only had red wine in each of them. What is the best way to clean them out and get them ready to accept beer? How do I find out if there is anything funky growing on the inside? I was thinking possibly doing a robust porter with a friend and age it in them. I am also thinking of doing a lambic in one of them.

Primary - MT
Secondary - Red India Pale Lager
Conditioning - None.
Bottled - More than my sig will allow me to post.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
mezak1gd
Recipes 

I have no experience here but seems like you could just dump in some cheap vodka and let sit for a bit to sanitize. Or whiskey for a better flavor.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
InfernoBrews
Recipes 

There are sulfur sticks you light and toss in the barrel to sanitize.. but i imagine the sulfur will or could screw with beer flavor..

Next Up: Imperial IPA
Primary1: Pale Ale
Primary2: Low Pro IPA
Secondary:IPA with Falconers Hops, Blonde Ale

Bottled: Red Ale

Kegged:Red Ale, Wheat, HopSlam Clone, Chocolate Stout on Nitrogen, Holiday ale Left Overs On Nitrogen.