Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle conditioning
Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

In regards to your bottle conditioning closet, I do this, but put the boxes full of beer in Rubbermaid totes just in case of a bottle bomb or other leakage...

Old 10-06-2015, 03:57 AM   #22
Default More witbier weirdness

I'm hoping this comment will bump the thread. I recently bottled my third batch of homebrew, a Blue Moon clone, and couldn't wait to try it. Cracked open a bottle on the fourth day, and had a lovely, velvety head, but the beer was slightly under carbonated. Opened another on day five, and the head is now too "active" and the beer has an over-carbonated bite to it.

I've read here that witbiers should be consumed fresh, but I'm perplexed that there could be such a difference after just one additional day. Both of my earlier batches also wound up somewhat harshly carbonated, using casting sugar (added before bottling).

If I allow the beer to condition a few more days, is that likely to hurt or help? Would I be best served chilling the beer now, to at least preserve what I've got?

Old 10-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #23
Liked 111 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 355

I sometimes open up tester bottles as soon as 4 or 5 days, but you can't expect the beer to be ready to go that quickly. It helps to store the bottles in the fridge a few days before drinking as well-you may just be noticing temperature differences as much as anything in the two bottles you've consumed so far.

You should definitely let the batch go at least 2 weeks before chilling it, and if you drink one and it's where you want it, just chill all of them.