had a martini for the first time last night (extra dirty) - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > had a martini for the first time last night (extra dirty)

Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID
Liked 1368 Times on 1337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
My guess is you feel like **** cause you drank 5 martinis. Doesn't matter whether they are drity, gin or vodka. That's what? Like 15 oz of hard liquor?
where are you drinking your martini's? An Elks lodge?

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
couplebeers
Recipes 

May 2008
Dedham, MA

Isn't a martini equal to at least 2 standard drinks?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by couplebeers View Post
Isn't a martini equal to at least 2 standard drinks?
depends on the recipe/bartender... standard I learned was 2oz Gin into a lightly vermouth touched glass.

I could see 3oz in a drink -- 2 1/2 oz vodka or gin and the rest , 1/2 oz dry Vermouth.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I usually make my own and use 6 oz in a shaker for 2 drinks. I don't actually use any vermouth, just wave the open bottle over the glass like a wand....that makes it dry enough

Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
Palefire
Recipes 

Jun 2009
SF, CA
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
I usually make my own and use 6 oz in a shaker for 2 drinks. I don't actually use any vermouth, just wave the open bottle over the glass like a wand....that makes it dry enough
that's the way to roll.

for those of y'all who also hate olives in martinis (like me), ever tried a Gibson? Gin martini with a cocktail onion. Sharpens things up a bit. Good sub for an olive if you don't just want a shot of booze in a martini glass.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID

I'll do a Gibson now and then.
My typical Martini is gin and holding the glass up about shoulder height and pointing to the Vermouth bottle on the rack saying "That's close enough Mister."

I once bartended for this guy that wanted three onions and a lime for his martini.
He was a very interesting character after 20 minutes at the bar

Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 205 Times on 167 Posts

Do not hate the martini for the olive. It is perfectly acceptable to order/make them with a lemon twist instead. That's what I prefer. I find it a much better pairing.

When I do go with olives, then I go all out and make it dirty.
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
BioBeing
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Memphis, TN
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Bombay sapphire, extra dry, straight up with a twist.

I used to say about martinis that one was not enough, two was too many, and three was just right. Five would certainly ruin me the next day! Nowadays, I'll occasionally have one as an aperitif.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
Palefire
Recipes 

Jun 2009
SF, CA
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
Bombay sapphire, extra dry, straight up with a twist.
Replace "Bombay Sapphire" with "Beefeater," and you've got the best cocktail on the planet, IMO.

Although once I started homebrewing, I've found myself almost always ordering beer instead. Hmmm ... maybe I need to reintroduce excessive gin consumption into my life.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Mar 2010
McKinney, TX
Liked 2319 Times on 2232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Replace "Bombay Sapphire" with "Beefeater," and you've got the best cocktail on the planet, IMO.

Although once I started homebrewing, I've found myself almost always ordering beer instead. Hmmm ... maybe I need to reintroduce excessive gin consumption into my life.
Gotta go with Bombay Sapphire myself. Nothing better, IMO. Since I'm more of a gin and tonic guy, I usually wave the tonic over the glass and call it good! Unfortunately, SWMBO says I get mean when I drink too much gin. Hmmmm