National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oxygen Absorbing Caps = No Carbonation?!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
DavidSteel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Oxygen Absorbing Caps = No Carbonation?!

Has anyone used these before? This is very important.

I recently capped a high 10% beer with these caps and they didn't carbonate. I blamed the yeast mostly. It's been 3 months and no carbonation.

I recently used these caps on a different, lower ABV beer and they didn't carbonate either.

Has anyone has similar results with using these silver caps?

Please report.
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Killinger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've done maybe 10-12 batches with them. No problems. Sorry.

"I'm Dr. Henry Killinger, and this is my magic murder bag."

Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've done at least half a dozen, no issues.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I had a batch that was way over-carbonated with those caps. Maybe you are not storing them warm enough.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Haha, thanks for the quick responses. These will be good enough to put me at ease. Makes me wonder why only my brews that were capped with those didn't carb properly though. Very strange stuff.
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts

What type of capper are you using? I capped a batch using a wing capper and it was not carbonated. So I uncapped them and tried dropping the gravity a bit by refermenting the beer (I was sitting at 12%). They had sat in the bottles from Jan until Mar and there were NO signs of carbonation. Then in March I got an itch and dumped it all back into a fermenter (had a high FG and was ansy to bottle). So I uncapped them all gave it a dose of WLP099 and let it go for 10ish days. Got my gravity down and rebottled. Now only a month later they were perfectly carbonated but this time I capped with a bench capper.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
What type of capper are you using? I capped a batch using a wing capper and it was not carbonated. So I uncapped them and tried dropping the gravity a bit by refermenting the beer (I was sitting at 12%). They had sat in the bottles from Jan until Mar and there were NO signs of carbonation. Then in March I got an itch and dumped it all back into a fermenter (had a high FG and was ansy to bottle). So I uncapped them all gave it a dose of WLP099 and let it go for 10ish days. Got my gravity down and rebottled. Now only a month later they were perfectly carbonated but this time I capped with a bench capper.
They are capped fine and everything. Nothing really wrong with the process. I think I've pretty much nailed it down to temperature. See here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/high...ioning-172046/

Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've done two high ABV brews, and they both took a lot longer to carbonate. The best advice that I heard was from Revvy, who told me to roll the bottles around on a table about once a week for a month or so.

That said, I was just about to start a thread about that exact same thing. I've used oxy barrier caps for my last two brews, and they both took at least a week longer to carbonate. I was wondering if it had to do with the caps, too.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 04-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I certainly hope they don't cause issues as I used them for the first time on my NHC entries. I know you're supposed to soak them first, but I tok care of that with the sanitizer soak.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
BBKing
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts

I've done a handful of batches with the Oxygen caps and havent had a single problem either.