Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > buying a grain mill - suggestions

Old 04-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
nootay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default buying a grain mill - suggestions

Ive been looking at grain mills recently. I like the ones at monster brewing - http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.co...ucts_main.html

Is there a big different between the 2 and 3 roller versions? Should i just save up for the 3 roller or will the 2 roller be enough?

Any of mill suggestions?

Adam

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 84

3 roller mills give you bragging rights, I mean a little extra control in your crush.

I researched all sorts of stuff including building my own stone mill rollers, and ended up hooking my Corona up to a hopper and dust free bucket topper, powered it with the ass-end of a bike frame and cassette, put an office chair in front of it, and tapped a keg.

Go for it, you'll love ANY mill you get (seriously). It's just not mandatory.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 790 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You could likely run a fair sized brew pub operation w/ a 3 roller mill. If you have the dough, and want the braggging rights...by all means go for it. Lots of other good options.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bought a Barley Crusher about a 9 months ago, and love it. Just on the stock setting my efficiency jumped up into the low 80's. I haven't had any issues with it. I figure I've run about 150lbs of Grain through it. A lot of people have had great success with Corona mills and Pasta Rollers at a fraction of the price of BC. For me, I wasn't up for putting in the time & effort into setting up one of the other options. So a BC & 5g bucket was perfect.
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter

Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
SkiSoloII
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Benefit / Cost Ratio = Barley Crusher

Bling Factor / Cost Ratio = 3-roller Monster

I love my BC - fresh and proper crush

Dave

Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Paul_Aris
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSoloII View Post
Benefit / Cost Ratio = Barley Crusher

Bling Factor / Cost Ratio = 3-roller Monster

I love my BC - fresh and proper crush

Dave
Yup, just bought a Barely Crusher with a 15 lb hopper. Love it. You can easily pull the handle off and use a drill to power it.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have the BC, and two* of the Monster Mill three rollers. And one of the old Crankandsteins. The MM is by far the best investments I have made. Motorized or hand cranked, they do the job and do it well. The Barley Crusher is a good mill as well, and it served me quite well for a number of years. But it would start free-spinning, and I would have to reverse the roll and re-roll to get it crushing again. It ended up doing it so much that it would add at least double the crush time as it should have. I finally got fed up and just splurged for the Crankandstein. Left that one out in the elements while I was deployed and came back to a rusty mess. So I bought the 3 roller MM and absolutely love it. Sure it costs 30 dollars more than the BC (for the 3 roller, the 2 roller MM is cheaper), and you have to mount it to something, and make you own hopper. But the BC mount is small, as is the hopper. I would not buy anything other than the MM if I had to do it again - which I don't think I will now that I have two of them OUT of the elements.

And there is a slight advantage to the 3 roller - it will crush the grain and separate the husk on the top, then crush the kernel finer on the bottom. But you can get a pretty good crush on the 2 roller once you dial it in. If $40 is worth that little extra crush then the 3 roller is for you. But that is a good chunk of change, and you can make great beer with the 2 roller and use that money to buy the grain to crush in it.

* I only have two because I had to rebuy my gear over here as I didn't think I would be brewing while stationed in Germany. But lack of stouts made me buy the same gear I already have!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

so this is the BC some of you have?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...-7-hopper.html

If so, for $15 more you can get a 2 roller monstermill (with hopper) for about $25 more. worth the price difference? i just want something that gets the job done in a reasonable amount of time and is reliable

Adam

Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Paul_Aris
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
so this is the BC some of you have?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...-7-hopper.html

If so, for $15 more you can get a 2 roller monstermill (with hopper) for about $25 more. worth the price difference? i just want something that gets the job done in a reasonable amount of time and is reliable

Adam
Yes, I two roller is more than enough to get the job done. For the price difference I did the 15lb hopper. What sold me was I could order it, take it right out of the box and start using it. No messing around buying materials and looking around to build a base and hopper for it. They work awesome and very speedy with a cordless drill connected to it.

http://www.barleycrusher.com/