Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Malt, sugar, and cider?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Ozone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Malt, sugar, and cider?

KK, with the Oak Experiment under wraps and another solid cider in the fermenters, I went scrounging for something to play with. Came up with this...

4 gallons apple juice (not cider)
3 pounds organic sugar
1 pound light DME
1 Pack Nottingham Ale yeast.

No idea how this will work out but am curious - is that too much DME/sugar for a 4 gallon batch? Any suggestions on random additives which might compliment the mix?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
MGAZ
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What was your OG? You may have underpitched.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
Ozone
Recipes 

Haven't started yet, just collecting ingredients (a small bag of oatmeal has found it's way into the pile as well).

Old 04-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
MGAZ
Recipes 

Gottcha. I'm a big fan of adding honey to my ciders.

I recently did an apfelwien with 4lb honey and 1.5lb of corn sugar. Used 2 packets of Notty yeast. Tasted great when I bottled it on Sunday. OG 1.103 FG 1.020

Old 04-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
WisDevilDog
Recipes 

Have you brewed the honey apfelwien before? I'm thinking about trying something like that, but I'm not sure if there'd be a honey taste or if it would all just ferment out into apfel booze.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Adding honey is called a cyser, kind of like a beer and mead is a braggot.

Personally, I dislike adding anything. More sugar = more alcohol = less apple flavor.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
Adding honey is called a cyser, kind of like a beer and mead is a braggot.

Personally, I dislike adding anything. More sugar = more alcohol = less apple flavor.
This.

besides adjusting the tannin/acid content of the juice I stick to the formula juice + yeast + time = tasty cider.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 04-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
This.
besides adjusting the tannin/acid content of the juice I stick to the formula juice + yeast + time = tasty cider.
Ah yes, Freezeblade caught what I really meant - I don't like adding sugars for fermenting cider. But there are plenty out there who do it.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
unclejimbay
Recipes 

If I dont use any malts I use 1 LB Light Brown Sugar + 5 gallons of Apple Juice, this makes a nice ~7.5% ABV cider which clears well and is not overly boozy. OG ~ 1.060, FG ~ 1.000. Any more sugar than that and it is a bit over kill and requires prolonged aging (6 mos). My typical house cider is 1 Light Brown Sugar, +yeast nutrient, +5G Motts AJ, + 3 week on Nottingham Yeast @ 62F ambient temp. This stuff rocks.

I recently just did a cider similiar to your idea. I think you have a bit to much sugar in your recipe. I did a mini mash of 2 Lbs Pale/Wheat Malt, +1 LB Caramel Malt (20L) in 1 gallon of water. Once this cooled I added it to 5 gallons of Apple Juice and fermented for 3 weeks using Nottingham. OG was 1.056 (.016 from the malts), and FG was 1.005. The Caramel malt left a nice subtle sweetness and mild caramel flavor. Final ABV ~ 6.6%, 2.5G batch.

I would think you could do the same type of thing with 1 Lb of Light or Amber DME, <or> 1 Lb of Light DME + 1 Lb of steeped caramel malt in 1 G of water, cool and add to 4G of Apple Juice. Dont steep with AJ, use water. This should give you about 7% abv. You could add more DME if you want more ABV, but I would not add suagr with DME, just use all malt/DME. Amber DME works nice because it has some Caramel malt already in it. 2 LBS of Amber DME would work well for 5 gallons of juice.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejimbay View Post
I would think you could do the same type of thing with 1 Lb of Light or Amber DME, <or> 1 Lb of Light DME + 1 Lb of steeped caramel malt in 1 G of water, cool and add to 4G of Apple Juice. Dont steep with AJ, use water.
This is because it changes the flavor of the apple juice, so it tastes cooked.