DIY Pint Glass Etching - Page 8 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Pint Glass Etching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #71
Ricand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Ricand's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 715
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


Wow, I think I know why we haven't seen a bunch of other etched glass pictures. Only do this if you want a DIY and not to save money. Your product won't be quite as good as you can buy at a bargain glassware site, and it will be very close to the same price. After reading about the issues with making the stencil, I bought a 4" X 5" one for $20. Then I bought the kit for $20 and it included the 30 second etching cream and the adhesive as well as some silver paint to highlight the etched glass. I ruined about 6-7 glasses getting the technique down and eventually ended up with glasses like this. My advice is to avoid thin lines, they blur and skip. Use the adhesive, it let's you know when the stencil has a slight bubble and keeps the stencil tight to the glass. Don't use the paint, it looks weird and doesn't apply evenly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCGlass.jpg
Views:	2295
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	16063  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #72
Eden192
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Pittsburgh
Posts: 24

One thing I'd like to bring to the table here, I custom engrave glassware for people and sell it at conventions and the like. I've tried the armour-etch and other etching creams and I'm not that happy with the long term results. When you acid-etch glasses the etched area tends to wear down after a year or so of use and washing. Some people don't notice it, or think that it's not a big deal after that much time, but I disagreed so I set out to find what else I could do. After some experimentation I've finally settled on using a Dremel tool with diamond tip and it turns out great. You can get really detailed work and it lasts a lot longer. It does, however, take more time. I usually spend 10-25 minutes on a single glass depending on the amount of detail. Basic images (like the Hyrule crest from Zelda) takes like 10 minutes at most, while really detailed images (like the Alliance symbol from WoW) take around 20-25. And yeah, I'm a bit of a geek.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #73
diatonic
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Boise, ID
Posts: 728
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


I'm anxious to try this. I've had the materials for a while, but just been really busy. I should get my first attempt in this week. I plan to etch some glasses and bottles, and I'm going to try to find some white paint for silkscreening bottles. Should be fun, and I'll post my results.
__________________
.:diatonic:.
1° - Dirty Hippie Hefe (4/17/2015) - Saison Brett (3/21/2014)
2° - Saison inspired mead (6/27/2014) - Sack mead (7/26/2014)
Kegged - Under Pressure Pale Ale (4/4/2015) - Dopplebock (1/22/2015) - Black Widow Kolsch (1/31/2015) - Pious New World (2/6/2015)
My brew rig is pretty much done :) You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #74
mikescags
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
st louis
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden192 View Post
One thing I'd like to bring to the table here, I custom engrave glassware for people and sell it at conventions and the like. I've tried the armour-etch and other etching creams and I'm not that happy with the long term results. When you acid-etch glasses the etched area tends to wear down after a year or so of use and washing. Some people don't notice it, or think that it's not a big deal after that much time, but I disagreed so I set out to find what else I could do. After some experimentation I've finally settled on using a Dremel tool with diamond tip and it turns out great. You can get really detailed work and it lasts a lot longer. It does, however, take more time. I usually spend 10-25 minutes on a single glass depending on the amount of detail. Basic images (like the Hyrule crest from Zelda) takes like 10 minutes at most, while really detailed images (like the Alliance symbol from WoW) take around 20-25. And yeah, I'm a bit of a geek.
Can i get some more information on this, I'd be interested to hear about it. Do you have any pictures or a more detailed account of how you do it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #75
eggraid101
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Leesburg, VA
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'd be interested to hear more about the dremel approach?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #76
eggraid101
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Leesburg, VA
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


FYI, if you have a Staples near you, and don't want to buy a pack of 100 transparencies for $30, just take a copy of the image to their copy center, they will copy it onto a transparency for a little under $1 apiece.

Also, I used the ArmourEtch, and they recommended a 5 minute application; this was not long enough IMO. the image was light.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #77
TalonBrew
 
TalonBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
, Colorado
Posts: 35


I totally agree with this. I'm running close to an hour, but I think it quits being effective after about half hour.

I really wish I would have thought about just having Staples make the transparency for me. I guess it's time to buy another pack of the stencil materials.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eggraid101 View Post
Also, I used the ArmourEtch, and they recommended a 5 minute application; this was not long enough IMO. the image was light.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #78
lmnop
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
nj
Posts: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggraid101 View Post
FYI, if you have a Staples near you, and don't want to buy a pack of 100 transparencies for $30, just take a copy of the image to their copy center, they will copy it onto a transparency for a little under $1 apiece.

Also, I used the ArmourEtch, and they recommended a 5 minute application; this was not long enough IMO. the image was light.
We finished xmas shopping pretty early this year, so etching glasses is my weekend project this weekend. Yesterday I was at Staples and they made me b+w transparencies for a buck a pop, like you said, but I didn't have to buy a pack of sheets first. I just gave him my thumb drive and he printed out b+w on paper until I liked the size, and then 3 small and 3 medium on transparencies. Paid him 6$+tax, it was great.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #79
alowell
 
alowell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Boulder, CO, Colorado
Posts: 232
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Reviving an old one!

1. Has anyone tried etching the bottom of the glass with Armour Etch to create the nucleation site?

2. Also, is there a way to dye the etched portion of the glass? I was wondering if this could be done by mixing dye into the Armour Etch or actually applying the dye after the etching to the same stencil.

Also, has anyone figured out an optimum amount of time to leave the paste on the glass?

If anyone has done either of these, it would be great to hear about it. I'm about to start my glass etching this week. Thanks!
__________________
Lowell Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #80
BigPatBrewer
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Tucson, AZ
Posts: 71

Has anyone tried using the PNP Blue Transfer paper used to etch circuit boards?

I saw it being used on a mirror on this craft site.
http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2009/how...photo-etching/

It looks like you can get pretty detailed. The tough part seems to be getting it onto a curved surface like a pint glass. I have some of the paper so I will try it out with some armour etch. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this yet.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy Pint glass Koozie? RouttensJunk General Beer Discussion 22 11-02-2012 04:34 PM
Trapped without a pint glass misterVT General Beer Discussion 25 01-22-2010 04:02 AM
Glass Etching? Skipster Label Display & Discussion 11 05-08-2009 08:39 PM
HBT Pint Glass SCARYLARRY General Beer Discussion 1 01-16-2009 04:01 PM
Glass Etching? MikeyP General Beer Discussion 8 04-07-2008 04:48 AM


Forum Jump