Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Thinking of trying out mead-making

Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Mead making...it can be a curse. I always end up getting on a mead making kick for a year, and then my stuff has to sit 1-2 years in bottles to reach peak flavor.

I actually have 6 bottles of mead that are 11 years old..3 bottles of 2 different styles.

You just cannot knock back a lot of mead like you can beer, or even wine. I've done 2 bottles of wine in an evening with the mrs. but 2 bottles of mead...you'd find me south of the border, naked, next to a dead donkey wearing a tutu.

Mead is fierce stuff.

Honestly I'd start on the simpler side. Look at Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (or any of the variations, including my own), or make a straight mead: water, clover honey, yeast, and a little nutrient.

then age it 12 months before trying any. it only gets better.

the price of honey does make 5 gallon batches of mead run high $$. figure $60 on average for non-exotic honey.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 546

I've recently been thinking about making some mead. I brew a lot of beer, and have done apfelwein a few times. I really don't want 5 gallons of mead though. I'm thinking I'll just make a gallon batch or two.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
TVarmy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ah. Looks a bit pricy for me ATM. Maybe if I can get a part time job this summer (college student).

I'm expecting I'd probably need to drink mead by the wine glass, because I'm kind of a lightweight.
Bottled: Apfelwein, Wheat Stout, Edwort's Haus Pale Ale
Thinking about: more Citrus Hefeweizen, Strawberry Blonde, Apple Graff, Lambics

Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5742 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Oh, then make a couple of one-gallon batches! You can primary them in buckets, then rack to a Carlo Rossi wine jug for secondary. A #6 bung fits, so it'd be a much more manageable expense and wouldn't require an expensive carboy (or more than 3-4#s of expensive honey!).

Even the JOAM is pretty good, and it's relatively cheap to make compared to the "good" meads. Since one glass can put you down, you can bottle in beer bottles and get a couple of small glasses out of each bottle.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6772 Times on 5757 Posts
Likes Given: 1059

I love making one gallon batches of mead (don't know if it's been said, but you'll get about 9 "beer" bottles out of a gallon of mead):

Joe's Quick Grape Mead is by far my favorite, and at seven months in the bottle tastes like a really nice red wine with a delicate honey nose

Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
You just cannot knock back a lot of mead like you can beer, or even wine. I've done 2 bottles of wine in an evening with the mrs. but 2 bottles of mead...you'd find me south of the border, naked, next to a dead donkey wearing a tutu.

Mead is fierce stuff.
LOL.

You make a good argument for scaling back the ABV a bit. If you bring them in at 10-12%, you can actually enjoy them in a satisfying quantity without discovering you have a new tattoo the next morning.

For new mead makers there is often a notion that higher ABV equals more flavor. The truth is quite the contrary. Ethanol actually masks other aromas in scientific testing, and has a similar effect on flavor components.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
TVarmy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I started some of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, using a blood orange I had lying in the fridge. I didn't have an airlock free (for 2 months), so I decided to use some sanitized tin foil instead. If it works for starters, it should work for a gallon jug. Next batch, I'll pick up some more bungs and airlocks.

Bottled: Apfelwein, Wheat Stout, Edwort's Haus Pale Ale
Thinking about: more Citrus Hefeweizen, Strawberry Blonde, Apple Graff, Lambics