Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein Excess Sugar

Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
CTBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein Excess Sugar

Hey y'all. Been a while since I've brewed (so long that most of the gear made its way into storage!). Anyway, I made 2-5 gallon batches of Apfelwein a couple days apart, my first batch (due to lack of equipment), I shook the sugar in the Apple juice containers halfway emptied into the carboy. This one is off to a great start (cloudy, and fermenting away)--however the one I started last night (Tuesday), isn't up to much at all. There also is a decent amount of sugar on the bottom (only in the indent of the ring of the carboy). Maybe I just didn't noticed last time as far as the sugar goes. Should I agitate the carboy (my old setup was just a plastic coat hanger, cut, and put into a cordless drill.) Should I re-pitch the yeast? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1721 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 4320

If you didn't areate your 2nd batch prior to yeast pitch, a good stirring would certainly help to move things along & at this stage won't hurt. Regards, GF.