OK what should I do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have a centenniel blond in primary ( 6.5 gallon carboy) . My grandson pulled the airlock out of it today and my wife sanitized it and put it back in. I just uncovered the carboy and there is a CHEEZIT floating in my beer that he poked down in there...it has been in primary 7 days and I was planning to go to secondary ( why I uncovered it) how much of an infection risk do I have? I will continue with it as normal but I am gonna rack it into a clean secondary right now.

What can ya do?.....I'd rack off of it to a secondary for 10-14 days and see what happens. Chances are it will be fine...most brews at that point survive after dumbing hops and other flavorings.

Ahhhh. A Centennial Cheddar Blonde. You might be thanking your grandson some day. Only time will tell but hopefully at 7 days there is enough alcohol to combat the cheezit. I'd be more worried about the slobber that was on the cheezit before it went in the hole.:drunk:

Ahhhh. A Centennial Cheddar Blonde. You might be thanking your grandson some day. Only time will tell but hopefully at 7 days there is enough alcohol to combat the cheezit. I'd be more worried about the slobber that was on the cheezit before it went in the hole.:drunk:

ugh!.... racking right now

If the kid hadn't put it in his mouth I'd say chances of an infection are nearly nil.

Cheezits are pretty salty which inhibits most bacteria. And the normal flora of the skin does not usually contain yeast, lactobacillus or acetobacter which I believe are the common causes of an infection. Likely your grandson just inoculated your beer with Staph and Strep bacteria, both of which will find the beer rather unfriendly to growth.

Ahhhh. A Centennial Cheddar Blonde.

lol I can't stop laughing because I could totally seeing my 2 year old getting into my fermenter and sticking something in there...

Generally speaking most of the risks for infection are before fermenting... once the alcohol level raises and the yeast population grows the chances of any stray bacteria surviving goes down significantly.

Not saying its not possible it could be infected, just saying RDWHAHB and time will tell.

checked gravity while racking and it is at 1.010 or a touch under.. I hope it is OKAY. And justthink I took him a ride all over our litle town today on the riding mower.... fine way to repay me! lol

Well, he dryhopped for you. I happen to think that Cheezits have a lovely aroma and flavor, and all you need now are a few bacon bits to have a nice beer.

It'll probably be fine. If not, oh well. You can always brew another beer and sanitize the Cheezits first next time.

cheesy = slightly aged hops. Drool=Adding extra bacteria. He was just trying to make a lambic. :drunk:

Thanks for the cautionary tale. I now can totally see my 2 year old throwing something into one of my fermentors.

I hope all turns out OK.

Bacteria might not be Ninjas but I guess 2 year olds can be.

Thanks for the chuckle and wishing the best for your beer.

Your beer will be fine. I bet if you started a thread called "Objects that ended up in fermenter" you would here a lot stanger items than a Cheezit :D. I currently have 1/2 of a dry-rotted rubber airlock grommet along with a replacement grommet that wasn't the correct size in the bottom of my fermenting stout.

Back