Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central USA > Colorado HomeBrew Forum > Great American Beer Fest - Denver CO

Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Great American Beer Fest - Denver CO

My brewing partner and some close friends just booked our hotel rooms and flights out to Denver. Also already booked a tour at New Belgium. Anyone else plan on attending? Any tips on side trips we should take outside the event? Event tickets go on sale in June. Details below

Great American Beer Festival 2010
September 16-18, 2010
Colorado Convention Center
Denver, Colorado
http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/

Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Turlian
Recipes 

If you are hitting New Belgium, you should also hit Odell as they are less than a mile from each other.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 30

An old friend of my wife owns a deli near New Belgium. It's called Choice City Butcher and Deli. From what I gather there's a pretty good beer/wine selection and good food, too.

http://www.examiner.com/x-33093-Fort...eer-Restaurant

Looks like their website is down but the addy is:
104 West Olive Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524-2832

His name is Russ.

Enjoy your trip

Old 04-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
aussy13
Recipes 

Left Hand, Oskar Blues, Upslope, Twisted Pine, Avery, Boulder Beer, and Mountain Sun. All of these guys are in and around Boulder/Longmont. Pretty tasty stuff in there. Have fun. I went to the GABF in '07 I think. It was epic. I'd love to go this year but I am transferring schools and moving in September and don't think I can swing the funds. Drink some pints for me.
AM

Old 04-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
ZWood15
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While you are out here, you should go to Avery and Southern Sun in Boulder (Avery for the tour around 4, dinner at Southern sun). While in Denver, the Wynkoop has some good brews, and Falling Rock Tap House has some amazing beers in bottles/on tap

http://www.mountainsunpub.com/
http://www.fallingrocktaphouse.com/
http://www.wynkoop.com/
Primary #1: Cream Stout
Primary #2: Belgian Stout
Primary #3:
Secondary #1: Belgian Tripel
Secondary #2: American Barleywine

Kegged:Cherry Poppin' Pale, Apfelwien

Bottled: Red-Headed Step Ale

On-Deck: Scotch Ale

Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Flyapart
Recipes 

Some Beer-centric friends an I have an annual Mancation where we target different brewing festivals. Last year we were at the Portland Brewers Festival, and this year we're going to the GABF. Very excited!

I just have one question: Where's the best place to stay in Denver relative to the convention center? I've never been to Denver so I'm not sure about how accessible public transportation is, or where the place to stay is in the city. My initial impression from Google Satellite is that the area around the convention center isn't the best place to stay.

Looking for maximum safety, but maximum fun. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
KLAAYHAUS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyapart View Post
Some Beer-centric friends an I have an annual Mancation where we target different brewing festivals. Last year we were at the Portland Brewers Festival, and this year we're going to the GABF. Very excited!

I just have one question: Where's the best place to stay in Denver relative to the convention center? I've never been to Denver so I'm not sure about how accessible public transportation is, or where the place to stay is in the city. My initial impression from Google Satellite is that the area around the convention center isn't the best place to stay.

Looking for maximum safety, but maximum fun. Anyone have any suggestions?
We are planning on going to the GABF this year. What did you make out with the hotel choice? Any other tips related to the Beer Fest? I noticed that the additional events such as the food pairings and dinners are about two weeks prior to the actual Beer Fest. I just wondered if anything like this goes on during the 3 day event? Is the food good inside or is like fair food?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
TopherM21
Recipes 

The Hyatt Regency is directly across the street from the convention center. No matter how many one-ounce pours you have you should be able to stumble back to your room.

In terms of food at the fest is ok. Think Old Chicago mini-pizzas.

The festival is a great time! I'm local, so I make a point of pouring every year... it's a great chance to taste regional brews and the most rewarding volunteer experience of my year

Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The Hilton Garden Inn is very close too. I liked that one quite well.

My only gripe with the 2009 GABF (didn't go last year) was the looooooong lines to get in. The lines were reasonable once inside.

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #10
mwhc22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

anyone know if hotels are booked up yet downtown? i have tried a couple times to get a room in the past week online and i keep getting a no rooms avail result. i have booked a room in july aug time frame the past 3 years and always got a room.

“Here’s to a long life and a merry one,
a quick death and an easy one, a pretty girl and a true one,
a cold beer and another one." -Lewis Henry

"old schlitz...new schlitz... both getz you LITZ!"