My first batch is in the middle of aging. Celebration del Mondo - Chilean Cab/merlot.
1) How important is filtering? I've read it can take alter/remove some taste in the wine.
I went from primary fermination to secondary 6.5gal carboy then reracked to the 6.5 gal carboy and topped off... where it has been sitting for about a month. The instructions say to let it sit from 22-45 days then bottle.
2) Is there a difference from bulk aging it in the carboy vs aging in the bottle?
3) Does the temperature during aging make a difference? The instructions says to store it at 50-60 degrees and my wine fluctuates at 65 to 71 degrees.
4) Is it okay to open the airlock and taste the progress of the wine? If so, what do I do when the level drops leaving more wine exposed to air?
5) I've collected all my old wine bottles for bottling. Does anyone have a quick way of removing the labels?
I apologize for all the questions. I'm really excited about wine making and don't want to screw up my first batch
Thanks for your help,