Ever wanted to watch a fellow homebrewer stung by a bee? - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Ever wanted to watch a fellow homebrewer stung by a bee?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #61
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well, I am sad to say that I noticed today that there were no bees in my beehive. There were many dead bees, but not enough to think that the whole hive died off suddenly. Not sure what happend.. Since I didn't treat, coulda been anything. Lesson learned.. Will treat next years bees.
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #62
BrewersKaramazov
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Vancouver, Washington
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Sorry about the bees. Thanks for keeping this updated, I would not have found it otherwise. I was thinking about going to a beekeeping class later this winter. Having my own honey for mead would be great, and I could get into watching the bees do their thing. It kind of makes me think of the old defrag animation in windows. I could watch that for a long time.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #63
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewersKaramazov View Post
Sorry about the bees. Thanks for keeping this updated, I would not have found it otherwise. I was thinking about going to a beekeeping class later this winter. Having my own honey for mead would be great, and I could get into watching the bees do their thing. It kind of makes me think of the old defrag animation in windows. I could watch that for a long time.
I know what you mean about watching the bees. I am perfectly content to just sit out there with a beer and watch the bees come and go. Very cool stuff. Social insects are very cool to me for some reason. BTW, my wife is from Vancouver.. Actually, Battleground.. and to refine even further, she's truly form Amboy.. Small world..

I would highly recommend a class. I wish I had taken one. I bought a book and away I went.. Learned alot though.. Good luck with whatever you decide.. And try to have a better install than I did! lol

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #64
lustreking
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroosBrewz View Post
Well, I am sad to say that I noticed today that there were no bees in my beehive. There were many dead bees, but not enough to think that the whole hive died off suddenly. Not sure what happend.. Since I didn't treat, coulda been anything. Lesson learned.. Will treat next years bees.
How did this year go?

I think that I've finally convinced my wife to give this a go. I can't keep bees in the town that I live in, but my uncle has 30-some acres about 20 minutes away. I haven't talked to him yet, but I have a feeling he'd love the idea. If all goes well, I'll spend some of my winter building boxes.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #65
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Jun 2012
oakland, ca
Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts

I got quite a bit of honey from my hives this year. Still processing it.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #66
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
How did this year go?

I think that I've finally convinced my wife to give this a go. I can't keep bees in the town that I live in, but my uncle has 30-some acres about 20 minutes away. I haven't talked to him yet, but I have a feeling he'd love the idea. If all goes well, I'll spend some of my winter building boxes.
I had a bit of hard time at the beginning of the year.. I did two hives instead of one and accidentally let one of the queens from the package loose when I was trying to install it.. So I had one box of bees with no queen.. Had to fed ex a $25 queen from Florida and pay $40 just to get her here within three days! But eventually got both hives installed.. I had one of the hives swarm this year and had to order a replacement queen for the hive.. Normally they would raise a new queen before swarming, and they did, except that I accidentally desroyed the cell that the new queen was forming in when i pulled two frames apart.. The swarm cell was formed between two frames so when I pulled the frames apart, the queen cell ripped in half.. So I had to order another queen.. Long story short, the hives made it through all my stupidity alright and it looks like I will be getting some honey! Good luck with your endeavors!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #67
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerHarley View Post
I got quite a bit of honey from my hives this year. Still processing it.
Great job! nothing like fresh honey!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #68
lustreking
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroosBrewz View Post
I had a bit of hard time at the beginning of the year.. I did two hives instead of one and accidentally let one of the queens from the package loose when I was trying to install it.. So I had one box of bees with no queen.. Had to fed ex a $25 queen from Florida and pay $40 just to get her here within three days! But eventually got both hives installed.. I had one of the hives swarm this year and had to order a replacement queen for the hive.. Normally they would raise a new queen before swarming, and they did, except that I accidentally desroyed the cell that the new queen was forming in when i pulled two frames apart.. The swarm cell was formed between two frames so when I pulled the frames apart, the queen cell ripped in half.. So I had to order another queen.. Long story short, the hives made it through all my stupidity alright and it looks like I will be getting some honey! Good luck with your endeavors!
Glad to hear that this year went a little better for you. Did you go foundationless and treatment-free again this year? I'm interested in going that route. I'm currently reading The Complete Idiots Guide to Beekeeping as well as Michael Bush's book.

I did have a set back, though. I was hoping to place my hives on my uncle's property and he was cool with the idea, by my aunt shut it down. My wife said, "She's a buzz-kill", after laughing at her pun for a bit I said, "Thanks, that kind of takes the sting out of the news." I have to find a new place now.