This weekend was my second batch. I improvised an imperial stout, a 5 gal. batch in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket primary. The fermentables:
6.6# LME syrup
2# DME dry
1# Amber ME dry
3# Corn sugar
OG = 1.082. Because of the high gravity, I used WL099, the super-high gravity yeast. I made a starter the day before, and added yeast nutrient with 15 min left in the boil. The airlock was bubbling away this morning. I was feeling pretty good about this beer.
Then I got a phone call at work today.
My wife said, "There's beer going up into the bubbling thing". I said, "Oh. If it starts to make a mess then crack the lid a bit."
My wife picks me up from work, and when we got home THE LId HAD BLOWN OFF THE FERMENTER, SPLATTERING SLIMY CRAP ALL OVER THE KITCHEN. I thought it would be fine if I left the lid off for a bit, but the krausen just kept overflowing everywhere (in the hallway, in the bathroom, etc.). I had to think fast. I grabbed my other fermenter and just dumped half of it in. The other fermenter was not clean or sanitized. I just rinsed it out quickly. To top it off, my airlock broke when the lid blew off. I have it in but there's no water.
Both buckets are still aggressively fermenting. They still smell nice, too. It'll be a miracle if this batch isn't ruined.
Sorry for the long post. I just had to vent