Pellicle Photo Collection - Page 95 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #941
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

One month old oud bruin

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #942
Shred
Beer Brewer & Blogger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Manchester, CT
Liked 189 Times on 129 Posts

Mmmm...

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Belgstralian White IPA, Bourbon Barrel Conceited Dick, HBC438 SMaSH, Barrel Aged Old Shredsputin, Geest Belgian Golden Strong

Primary 1: Grapefruit IIPA
Primary 2: Shred's Brown Eye Ale
Primary 3: Chocolate Orange Port
Primary 4: California Pinot Noir

Secondary: Ginger-Peach Melomel

Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #943
takahiro
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Portland
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is my 1 gallon experimental batch. The base beer is Belgian Golden Strong, and it was infused with rinsed bug mixture from a batch of flanders red (ECY+commercial bugs) on 3/8/2013. I just added cubes today.
I'd like to think that the thick pellicle formation is due to me opening the lid pretty frequently (smells super). Another batch in a gallon chug, infused with pure Brett B., does not have any visible pellicle... But I am not 100% sure if it's the bug mixture or the lid opening that makes difference in the pellicle formation.

Cheers
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5689_crop.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	115204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5690_crop.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	115205  

badlee Likes This 
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #944
sddanc
Recipes 

Dec 2011
santee, ca
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

this is a wicked source for desktop backgrounds.

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #945
emjay
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahiro View Post
Here is my 1 gallon experimental batch. The base beer is Belgian Golden Strong, and it was infused with rinsed bug mixture from a batch of flanders red (ECY+commercial bugs) on 3/8/2013. I just added cubes today.
I'd like to think that the thick pellicle formation is due to me opening the lid pretty frequently (smells super). Another batch in a gallon chug, infused with pure Brett B., does not have any visible pellicle... But I am not 100% sure if it's the bug mixture or the lid opening that makes difference in the pellicle formation.

Cheers
Pellicles require oxygen (it's actually created to form a barrier to that oxygen). Most of my sours are kept without oxygen in the headspace, so they usually don't even get pellicles. But yeah, it's almost certain that it's due to you opening it.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #946
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

I've got my first 2 sours going right now, about a month in is all- a split batch Flanders where I pitched Roeselare in half and WLP655 in half. No pellicles yet. But check this out:

Name:	image-1531999609.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	115609

I keep a solo cup by my taps to use for the first second or so of a pour when I haven't had that beer in a bit- for the gods, you know. Well this baby formed in about 48 hours.

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #947
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Liked 130 Times on 107 Posts

Here's one on my most recent reuse of a hop tolerant bacteria. I dont know the type for sure and the first beer never developed a pellicle (never opened it to look though). Anyhow it has developed this beauty since the transfer. Smelling cleanly sour not bretty at all.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130416_194941.png
Views:	634
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	115951

Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #948
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 929 Times on 681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Here's one on my most recent reuse of a hop tolerant bacteria. I dont know the type for sure and the first beer never developed a pellicle (never opened it to look though). Anyhow it has developed this beauty since the transfer. Smelling cleanly sour not bretty at all.

Attachment 115951
beautiful.

what does the bacteria taste like? a classic sour, or something else?
- Drinking: 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2
- Fermenting: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore)
- Aging: brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries, sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #949
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Liked 130 Times on 107 Posts

Just classic sour. This was used in a saison (picture many pages back) but the hops are too prominent to really taste the lactic. I think it will get packaged at the end of the month. This was a large batch and I split it off and gave a portion 5lbs of local tart cherries. That portion due to active fermentation and a brett addition hasn't developed a pellicle at all. There's a possibility I picked something up in the fermentor but I've been 100% disassembling the 10gal kegs I use each funky ferment and cleaning the hell out of everything. If there's no ropy viscosity which there wasn't two weeks ago, then it's just the bacterium or possibly bacteria that I intended to be there. I tried to get this purified but my friend got a gram negative rod that soured my beer in an anaerobic environment. So either the acidity I got is from aceto/gluconobacter and slight oxidation, or we didn't grow the bacterium from the beer that he had a on a plate and it was something else. I might bring him a small portion of this in the fermentor to work with instead of a carbonated bottle like he tested last time.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #950
Kwix
Recipes 

Apr 2013
Wasilla, AK

I joined just to post these crappy photos of my 14mo Flanders Red (Gilda):

Unfortunately I just destroyed the pellicle by moving the carboy and siphoning some to inoculate another batch. Hopefully it won't be too long before it starts getting furry again.