Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #81
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 165

On Black Friday, I brewed an old ale with Wyeast 9097 (it has an english ale yeast strain and a Brett strain). Secondaried with oak cubes, and tertiaried for bulk aging. There was nothing for quite some time, but when I checked on it this week, I finally saw the starting of a pellicle! Just thought I'd share it with you guys!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, NB Tonguesplitter v2.0, Ginger Beer, BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01) Primary: none Souring: None On Deck: Zombie Dust clone On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2015/03/26
Untappd: barrooze

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #82
Barc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Nice. Mine with 9097 still doesn't have a pellicle but no worries. If I shine a flashlight on the surface, I can still see tiny CO2 bubbles popping at the surface!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #83
barrooze
Recipes 

Delete!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, NB Tonguesplitter v2.0, Ginger Beer, BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01) Primary: none Souring: None On Deck: Zombie Dust clone On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2015/03/26

Reason: Wasn't finished typing! Dang phone keyboard!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #84
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barc View Post
Nice. Mine with 9097 still doesn't have a pellicle but no worries. If I shine a flashlight on the surface, I can still see tiny CO2 bubbles popping at the surface!
When did you brew it? It's been over two months since I put mine in the primary. When primary was done, I racked onto oak cubes for about ten days, then racked off of the cubes for bulk aging. It's been about 4.5 weeks since I racked to tertiary and I'm just now seeing the pellicle. I did the tertiary only because I did want some oxidation as the style allows it and I wanted some oxygen for the Brett to work on.

What type of fermenter do you have it in?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #85
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
When did you brew it? It's been over two months since I put mine in the primary. When primary was done, I racked onto oak cubes for about ten days, then racked off of the cubes for bulk aging. It's been about 4.5 weeks since I racked to tertiary and I'm just now seeing the pellicle. I did the tertiary only because I did want some oxidation as the style allows it and I wanted some oxygen for the Brett to work on.

What type of fermenter do you have it in?
I brewed it right around 11/11. I moved it to secondary quite a while ago. Brett doesn't need oxygen as far as I know. It just puts up a protective coating (the pellicle) in the presence of O2. It might help to put some O2 in solution for it to use but I would think it might risk oxidation.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #86
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brett likes micro oxygenation over an extended secondary. Thats why the barrel is perfect for them. I use the Raj Apte method using an aged oak dowel in my experimental funks. Google "raj apte flanders" and it will pull up his site. Great info!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #87
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is the link

http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/ap...shredale.shtml

Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #88
jpoder
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here are my pics. It was very thin/flaky (and without any bubbles) until I put a pound of amber candi sugar (diluted in about a quart of water) back in December. Now it looks spectacular!

See my thread about this brew HERE

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #89
phuzle
Recipes 

I made a beer and fermented with WL sour mix. There is a strange brown layer on it, but nothing too interesting. I made a saison and wanted to add some of the brett and bugs from the first beer, so after a 10 day hot fermentation with saison yeast, I stuck a bit of the trub from beer one into the racked saison. I noticed the pellicle after (I think) 5 days, and started taking photos after that. These photos are from that day through today in case anyone wants to see the growth.

Reason: Sorry the images are so big, I don't have the software to shrink them correctly

Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #90
jpoder
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

looks awesome! especially the last one. How long was it from first photo to last?

Reason: re-read the last post and corrected my comment