Pellicle Photo Collection - Page 60 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #591
sheepdawgg
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpanic
Btw, should I let this sit long enough for the pellicle to fall on its own before bottling? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts. I don't want to try siphoning around the pellicle, at least not this early on, because I'm sure I'll end up with bottle bombs.
I have a sour Brett pumpkin in secondary right now and it usually has a strong pellicle. today there is no pellicle. If I open it for a few minutes to taste/check gravity the pellicle forms for the next few days then disappears. The pellicle is a reaction to oxygen so if it goes away that just means there is no more oxygen in the headspace. Bottle when a stable gravity happens, or under prime it.

Overpanic Likes This 
Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #592
dcHokie
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts

This pellicle has gone through about 4 or 5 different iterations in the past few months

Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #593
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie
This pellicle has gone through about 4 or 5 different iterations in the past few months
That's a beautiful color on top.. what's in there? Do you let any oxygen in with the glass? That's gorgeous!!
Edit: I ask that cause I'm using my glass now cause all my BB's are full and not getting as much of a pellicle on those..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #594
dcHokie
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
That's a beautiful color on top.. what's in there? Do you let any oxygen in with the glass? That's gorgeous!!
Edit: I ask that cause I'm using my glass now cause all my BB's are full and not getting as much of a pellicle on those..
It's a Belgian Golden Strong Ale with mango and Brett B, based on this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/drunk-owl-mango-55227/

This one didn't form a pellicle of any sort for a few months. It's definitely got a bit more head space than I'd normally allow (although the photo is a bit deceiving), but I've only popped the airlock once for a gravity check in the year it has been sitting.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #595
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Sounds and looks. Putting it on my list..
Edit: so did you use the wyeast 3864?
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #596
stubbornman
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3549848339.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	78575

Bam Biere clone.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #597
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Burlington, WI
Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts

Did you pitch JP dregs or a cocktail of brett, lacto and pedio?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #598
stubbornman
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker
Did you pitch JP dregs or a cocktail of brett, lacto and pedio?
I used dregs from 4 bottles of fresh Bam straight into primary. I was expecting a long lag time, but it was roaring in under 48.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #599
todd46
Recipes 

May 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
I used dregs from 4 bottles of fresh Bam straight into primary. I was expecting a long lag time, but it was roaring in under 48.
Must've been a fun night collecting those dregs. I have a JP Dark Dawn dreg project going that I will post a pic of soon. Its starting to look real nice and nasty

stubbornman Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #600
stubbornman
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd46 View Post
Must've been a fun night collecting those dregs. I have a JP Dark Dawn dreg project going that I will post a pic of soon. Its starting to look real nice and nasty
Yeah it was a fun (and expensive) day of brewing + drinking Bam. Fortunately, it's a low ABV brew and is highly drinkable from lunchtime, straight through to dinner!

ardyexfor Likes This