Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess this belongs here!

2ylo2nm.jpg

nice what type of sour is it.
i like the little bubbles.

It will be a Lambic base beer that I'm intending to turn into a gueuze... not brewed it yet but just having a go at catching wild bugs for the souring.

That pellice is sat on top of a small 1 litre jar of old spent trub/beer form an older brew and it's caught on after a couple of months now.

Had my own start of a nasty little membrane in a Red Ale.

996zau.jpg

So question: I bottled anyway and avoided all the skin I could. If I hadn't, though and I got bits in my beer, what would have formed in the bottle?

So question: I bottled anyway and avoided all the skin I could. If I hadn't, though and I got bits in my beer, what would have formed in the bottle?

Brett will produce little pellicles in the bottle, or most of mine do, regardless of how little of the skin you manage to get into your beer. It may not if you flushed each bottle with CO2 but I've not tried that. It will eventually sink on its own or when you move it. And, if it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with it. It is a natural part of fermentation with Brett.

Is this a pellicle or mold? It is very tasty.
i'm not really sure, you'd have to get better zoomed in pic. are those rehydrated cranberries? a description of the growth would help, but here's one that i assume is mold growing on the pellicle. it's from over the summer and was a peach ale that i pitted the peaches and blended them into a puree. once i saw the mold i reracked from underneath and salvaged the beer which was not very peachy (see other threads about peaches).
peachpellicle2.jpg

what do you think?

CIMG0345.JPG

Not frozen, fresh from the bog.... literally

Brewed a simple hefe recipe with WB06, drank half of it. The other half I put into 5 pounds fresh cranberries, soaked in starsan then halved. 5 days in looked fine smelled great. 8 days in had about a quarter size of this stuff and then sealed it for a month. This is what it looked like next.

I've been meaning to post this for a while and keep forgetting. This is a 16 month old Flanders Reddish Brown in a Russian River Temptation barrel. Though this picture was taken when it was only a few months old.

15760_204015679111_638199111_4143896_2080199_n.jpg

wow where do i line up to buy a RR barrel? rtt121: you know i had the same looking stuff on my blueberry mead and assumed that was mold, but maybe it's not:confused: i saw this, got scared and rackd off the blueberries but the alcohol content was soo high when this occured i was shocked. 15 lbs honey and 15+ lbs blueberries in the mead with crazy amounts of nutrients. when i racked off the blueberries a week after i saw this growth, the SG was like 1.001 and has since dropped to .9998 - lowest i've ever seen.
blueberrymead.jpg

jessup my flanders red will be ready in a few months ill have to shoot you a bottle.

I need to get pics up of all my sours too.

You know, after reading through this thread I have a new respect for a hobby I have loved for more than 7 years now.

Who else would try to drink some $#!^ that looks like any of that :) We are some courageous bastards.

No picture yet, as I am planning on starting a sour next week. For the oak dowel guys, in all the reading I do, some say no dowel, just a regular airlock, some use a wood plug, and some let the dowel or plug touch the wort. What way should I go, and this will be my first one, so I don't have any other reference.

Figure I'll add this to the mix. This is the pellicle from my 11-11-11 Old Ale. It's the wyeast PC9097 Old Ale blend. I still have not see a definite of what the Brett strain is but here's the pellicle.

DSCN1625.jpg

I will post up again once it reforms this was just before transfer from primary to secondary.

Sorry jessup, just saw this. Vinnie was apparently offering to-be discarded barrels at NHC a couple years ago for just the cost of shipping. So me and a few homebrew buddies went in on two.
wow that vinnie, i hear nothing but good things about him. to be honest i was a little disappointed to hear that tomme arthur was suing moylan brewing for using a celtic cross. not very cool. take an hint from vinnie and avery brewing with their collaboration not litigation beer.
jessup my flanders red will be ready in a few months ill have to shoot you a bottle. I need to get pics up of all my sours too.
yes, you need to get your photos up asap! or as quick as the wild things allow:D whenever you're down for a trade i'm all about it. being your in utah i'm sure i can help soothe what ales ya:) pm sent
For the oak dowel guys, in all the reading I do, some say no dowel, just a regular airlock, some use a wood plug, and some let the dowel or plug touch the wort. What way should I go, and this will be my first one, so I don't have any other reference.
i'm trying not to let this thread get off point so i'm going to kindly point you in the right direction w/o going into detail.
a quick search returned this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/oak-dowel-stopper-procedure-177814/ search around because the oak dowel thing has been thoroughly discussed. cheers:mug:

Have you ever aged anything like this and tasted it? I've never been able to tell which bacteria produces what "style" of pellicle.

If I don't pitch bugs and I use a wyeast critter blend in primary the pellicle will start out chunky without a marked pattern;

if a clean batch becomes infected due to bacteria in my racking tube I get a star pattern with the center of the star in the center of the wort's surface area;

if I pitch bugs on a wyeast critter farm I get huge bubbles for a few days and the pellicle eventually forms into a thick white scab with craters.

I should post pictures but I'm lazy.

Does anyone know what kind of bacteria this is? Brett? Pedio? If the jungle juice at a party doesn't run out we usually have a lot of this on the remaining stuff.

here's my most recent, pic taken 48 hrs after pitching brett C 1L starter and expired wyeast lambic blend smack pack. there were also 18 skinned unsanitized kiwis so i don't know if this is brett related or not

^that growth could be from any number of things due to the lambic blend and the fresh unsanitized fruit. this is one of the reasons i wanted to start this thread, though, to try and figure out what we have growing in our sours and if it's normal.

I should post pictures but I'm lazy.
please post them so we can learn from your hard work, patience and experiences! <mr miyagi voice: "smart man learn from own mistakes, genius learn from others.">

I went to keg my attempted malty baltic porter and found this guy had grown up over Christmas and New Years. Anyone able to identify? Maybe it is time to toss that bucket...

...or use it as a sour batch to blend new ones with...hmm. :mug:

1920-oh-no-unknown-pellicle-oh-wait-another-sour-yes.jpg

Sarter batch using dregs from a laundry list of beers> Cantilon Iris 2005, 3 Fonteinen Kriek, Fantome de noel, Orval and Guezes over the past 2+ yrs. Probably 20+ different beers in total along with a WY Lambic blend.

That was aged for 1yr before adding to `Festivus Kriek 09>

brett1.jpg

Tastes good, but still not very sour. It's become more complex and the individual flavors are becoming less apparent though. Looks like it'll need to be blended.
hmm, yours looks kinda crunchy like my eldest sour. i hadn't touched this for a long time, then i racked off the cherries and it seemed to be less sour which is the opposite of what i've read. after racking the O2 exposure must've kicked the acetic up and did wonders. maybe you need a tiny more O2 exchange? the photo below is a 3 gal carboy of what's left from my 3/09 batch after bottling 2 gal a year ago. i'm thinking of bottling it and am wondering if this is what a "finished" sour looks like??? this batch is almost 2 years old and was spiked with brett B & L as well as plenty of dregs. just snagged a sample and it's delicious:mug: gravity is steady. faint strawberry-ish aroma (even though it was aged on cherries), sweet upfront, then very tart on the tongue and finish. this batch was not barrel aged.
is this what a finished sour looks like?
beer1005.jpg

how much evaporation are you getting on the 3 and 5 gallon barrels?
quite a bit. let's say about a pint a month as a real rough estimate. there are huge temperature fluctuations in my apartment so summer=quart/mo and winter is less. i top off sometimes with random sours and then i might not touch them for months. the only thing that's consistent is the patience behind them;)

hmm, yours looks kinda crunchy like my eldest sour. i hadn't touched this for a long time, then i racked off the cherries and it seemed to be less sour which is the opposite of what i've read. after racking the O2 exposure must've kicked the acetic up and did wonders. maybe you need a tiny more O2 exchange? the photo below is a 3 gal carboy of what's left from my 3/09 batch after bottling 2 gal a year ago. i'm thinking of bottling it and am wondering if this is what a "finished" sour looks like??? this batch is almost 2 years old and was spiked with brett B & L as well as plenty of dregs. just snagged a sample and it's delicious:mug: gravity is steady. faint strawberry-ish aroma (even though it was aged on cherries), sweet upfront, then very tart on the tongue and finish. this batch was not barrel aged.
is this what a finished sour looks like?

It's hard to say by looking at it if it's done. Mine has gone through phases that looked similar. I would trust your palette.

Three years seems like a good end point. I'm around the 1.5 year mark and it's just starting to really come into it's own.

I think I should have used a dowel in the stopper instead of an air lock. On the plus side it could be blended with a younger more sour beer :).

This is my berlinder weiss that is almost 5 months in. Started out with a very heavy lactobacillus top, then some yeast and then another lacto. Now the brett is kicking in nicely.

img1320d.jpg

This is my berlinder weiss that is almost 5 months in. Started out with a very heavy lactobacillus top, then some yeast and then another lacto. Now the brett is kicking in nicely.

img1320d.jpg

this is a great photo. what's making the bier so nicely reddish? and the flakies around the opening? dry hopping bits?

this is a great photo. what's making the bier so nicely reddish? and the flakies around the opening? dry hopping bits?

No clue on the color. The samples I pull are very light looking. The specs are the hops that got slung everywhere during the sacc fermentation. It was quite vigorous for a day or two. I don't rack it to a secondary or anything. I didn't last year either and it turned out fine.

You know, that color might be from half the better bottle being covered in a trash sack. It is sitting in my garage here in Texas so the lacto has been going nuts off and on due to the temps.

Back