Pellicle Photo Collection - Page 14 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #131
SwampassJ

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
too funny indeed

here's teh latest growth of mixed culture.

this is today after all the spots merged. it's quite impressive
It's like the beer has a butthole.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #132
Bottenbrew
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Waukee, Iowa
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Popped my pellicle cherry, on some cherries for a nice side of irony.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #133
barrooze

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pearland, TX
Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts

Nice. I decided to take an SG sample last weekend and found that the flavor was awesome and I'm ready to bottle. Since I was cold crashing my lager anyways I decided to cold crash my old ale as well. Hopefully it'll do well for the May competition!
Kegged: BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01), DIPA, Funky Belgian Table Beer, Breakfast Stout Primary: CYBI Obsidian Stout clone, Citra Dust APA, Hop Dust APA Souring: None On Deck: Oktoberfest-ish Lager On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2016/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

Old 03-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #134
TANSTAAFB

Recipes 

May 2010
San Luis Valley, CO
Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottenbrew View Post
Popped my pellicle cherry, on some cherries for a nice side of irony.

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #135
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Liked 209 Times on 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
too funny indeed

here's teh latest growth of mixed culture.
this is a few weeks ago:

this is today after all the spots merged. it's quite impressive

Any of those beautiful pictures would make a good desktop background on your computer.
1. none 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 23 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Altbier, Helles x2, Kentucky Common

Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #136
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

That is down the mouth of a better bottle. It is staying in the primary fermenter and there is krausen residue stuck to the inside of the carboy in the headspace so I can't get a good picture from the side.

That is Wyeast Lambic Blend plus dregs from Lindeman's Cuve Rene three and a half months in.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #137
zing
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Holland, MI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got my first sour going now...the only room in the house I can keep good control of the temperature in is my bedroom...with all the sulfur coming off of it it smells like someone's been farting...a lot...

can't wait till the pellicle forms. these (okay... most of these) are beautiful...

Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #138
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Liked 131 Times on 107 Posts

If you have a regular 3 piece airlock on the fermentor you can go get a NATO gas mask canister. Tape it on top and that takes care of any sulfur smells. I've done that on a few fermentations since I started this hobby. The filter cartridge should be pretty cheap and it fits perfectly.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #139
smellysell

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Helena, MT
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I've got my first sour going now...the only room in the house I can keep good control of the temperature in is my bedroom...with all the sulfur coming off of it it smells like someone's been farting...a lot...

can't wait till the pellicle forms. these (okay... most of these) are beautiful...
In my experience, temperature fluctuations actually do sours a lot of good.

I heart sour beer

Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #140
winnph
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Takoma Park, MD

My first pellicle, and it's not even from the beers I've put dregs into! (those were just pitched in the last week or two, so no pellicles yet)

The following are pictures of a beer brewed using a wild yeast I isolated from dates (the fruit, not people I was dating, though that might produce an interesting beer, too). What's interesting is the beer had a very sacc-like fermentation at first, so I was wondering if I'd happened upon some sacc species, but now I'm unsure. I'm pretty sure it was a single species, since I streaked it on agar and selected an isolated colony.

The pictures are kinda largish, so I'm using thumbnails and you can click on them for full resolution. First, through the mouth of the Better Bottle:

Then, through the little rectangular "window" on the side, which doesn't produce the greatest picture, but I thought it was kinda cool looking:

Then, from below, through the beer:

Notice how clearly you can see through to the other side -- this beer really has cleared better than any domesticated yeast I've used, and it went from 1.045 to 1.011 in about a month. Here's a picture of the krausen it had a few days after pitching: