Pellicle Photo Collection - Page 113 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Pellicle Photo Collection

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #1121
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,653
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticHorse View Post
sorry to potentially go off track on this post but I have a oatmeal stout that had been in primary almost a month that I just noticied some huge bubbles yesterday and transferred it to secondary to get it off the yeast cake. its been less than 12 hours and bubbles are slowly returning....does this look like Pellicle?

when I transferred it smelled like a delicious oatmeal stout. the only funky thing was a small fruit fly had managed to get into the airlock and die in the vodka at the top of the primary and was floating in it, not sure if that is a clear sign.
Looks like a pellicle/krausen mix. Whatever is in there is very active.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #1122
TANSTAAFB
 
TANSTAAFB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
San Luis Valley, CO
Posts: 1,765
Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticHorse View Post
sorry to potentially go off track on this post but I have a oatmeal stout that had been in primary almost a month that I just noticied some huge bubbles yesterday and transferred it to secondary to get it off the yeast cake. its been less than 12 hours and bubbles are slowly returning....does this look like Pellicle?

when I transferred it smelled like a delicious oatmeal stout. the only funky thing was a small fruit fly had managed to get into the airlock and die in the vodka at the top of the primary and was floating in it, not sure if that is a clear sign.
That just looks like krausen and normal fermentation to me. What were the temps like over that month? Any chance the yeasty beasties fell asleep and a change in temp or moving the carboy woke em up?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
"I cant handle that buddy.. it tastes like Moose Piss", (IPA) - side note.. ive never had moose piss, but im sure it doesnt taste like IPA or I would have a moose.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #1123
SarcasticHorse
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Oakland, CA
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Yeast pitched and run about 64 for first 36 hours or so of fermentation a month ago, then a heat wave came through and our place got up to 69-70 so the yeast was pretty aggressive then stopped for a solid month. Temperature has been pretty consistently at 65-70 in our place in this period. Now that I've transferred it it definitely looks more krausen than pellicle and it smelled fine so I'll wait it out a bit and keep an eye it.

Sorry to hijack this, keep posting the sexy pellicle pics.
__________________
Primary - Drake's 1500 Clone
Secondary - None
Bottled - Green Flash West Coast IPA Clone, Summer Kolsch-Pale-Ale Thingie, Orange Witbier, California Common Schwarzbier

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #1124
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,064
Liked 940 Times on 686 Posts


IMHO: oatmeal stouts contain a lot of "gunky" material (beta glucans, etc) that form long-lasting bubbles. in any other beer, those bubbles would have burst and you'd have a clear surface. with your stout, thick & sticky beer = the bubbles last.

we now return you to your regularly-scheduled images of surface rot.
__________________
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?
- Drinking: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore), 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

SarcasticHorse Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #1125
Thnikkaman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Here are our first sours. Wizenbeir with Brett.




Gothic_Horror Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1126
brendan65
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 10
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



My first lambic. 6 months into fermentation. Anybody know if this pellicle is good or bad? There are some grey and dark bits of stuff under. Just curious as to what experienced lambic/wild ale homebrewers have to say.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #1127
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,653
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan65 View Post

My first lambic. 6 months into fermentation. Anybody know if this pellicle is good or bad? There are some grey and dark bits of stuff under. Just curious as to what experienced lambic/wild ale homebrewers have to say.
I'd suggest transfering it to something less permeable than a bucket. Some folks use them for up to 6 months to get some extra o2 transfer, but longer than that and you'll probably have some issues with acetobacter, autolysis, and other off flavors.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #1128
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,653
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticHorse View Post
sorry to potentially go off track on this post but I have a oatmeal stout that had been in primary almost a month that I just noticied some huge bubbles yesterday and transferred it to secondary to get it off the yeast cake. its been less than 12 hours and bubbles are slowly returning....does this look like Pellicle?

when I transferred it smelled like a delicious oatmeal stout. the only funky thing was a small fruit fly had managed to get into the airlock and die in the vodka at the top of the primary and was floating in it, not sure if that is a clear sign.
Have an update for us?
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #1129
brendan65
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 10
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
I'd suggest transfering it to something less permeable than a bucket. Some folks use them for up to 6 months to get some extra o2 transfer, but longer than that and you'll probably have some issues with acetobacter, autolysis, and other off flavors.
So when I transfer to a better bucket or glass carboy should I try to get all the sediment back in suspension before racking it? I would want to get all the bugs to go in with the liquid right?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #1130
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,653
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan65 View Post
So when I transfer to a better bucket or glass carboy should I try to get all the sediment back in suspension before racking it? I would want to get all the bugs to go in with the liquid right?
I wouldn't. There are plenty in suspension already. Most of the stuff on the bottom is protein and dead yeast. Although lambic is left of the lees, most other wild beers are not.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
That's not a pellicle...right? nostalgia Fermentation & Yeast 7 11-01-2011 12:09 AM
How long until pellicle mattyp1214 Lambic & Wild Brewing 11 10-21-2009 03:47 AM
My first pellicle! Munsoned Lambic & Wild Brewing 3 09-07-2009 05:33 PM
He ain't heavy, He's my Pellicle landhoney Home Brewing Photo Forum 16 01-02-2008 04:19 AM


Forum Jump